RHS Chelsea 2015

And so to RHS Chelsea and despite of the cold, wrap up warm if you’re going, and early visit to The Red Cross tent to get my still recovering sprained ankle dressed, it was utterly glorious. I’ll keep the talk brief because I took about three hundred photos of the show gardens and the floral marquee and would like to share as many as possible.

DSC_6058 DSC_6060 DSC_6068 DSC_6069 DSC_6070 DSC_6071 DSC_6072 DSC_6085 DSC_6086 DSC_6087 DSC_6089 DSC_6091 DSC_6094 DSC_6095 DSC_6104 DSC_6113 DSC_6117 DSC_6119 DSC_6121 DSC_6123 DSC_6130 DSC_6131 DSC_6132 DSC_6137 DSC_6144 DSC_6145 DSC_6152 DSC_6153 DSC_6157 DSC_6158 DSC_6161 DSC_6162 DSC_6164 DSC_6165 DSC_6169 DSC_6170 DSC_6172 DSC_6173 DSC_6175 DSC_6176 DSC_6179 DSC_6184 DSC_6190 DSC_6192 DSC_6197 DSC_6200 DSC_6201 DSC_6205 DSC_6206 DSC_6207 DSC_6209 DSC_6211 DSC_6213 DSC_6215 DSC_6218 DSC_6219 DSC_6224 DSC_6227 DSC_6228 DSC_6230 DSC_6234 DSC_6235 DSC_6236 DSC_6237 DSC_6238 DSC_6240 DSC_6244 DSC_6245 DSC_6248 DSC_6249 DSC_6250 DSC_6252 DSC_6253 DSC_6254 DSC_6255

One final tale. I thought I recognised the gentleman handing out the planting plans at the Chatsworth Garden and on spur of the moment said to him ‘Are you Deborah’s son?’ he looked a little confused and stammered around his reply he seemed to suddenly realise what I meant and replied ‘Of course I am’ we laughed a little bit and then talked about his wonderful mother Debo Mitford.  Perhaps not the conventional way to approach a Duke but there you go.

The gardens featured here are in order of  the photographs:

The M&G Garden ‘The Retreat’ designed by Jo Thompson

Setabale ‘Hope In Vulnerability’ designed by Matthew Keightley

Cloudy Bay ‘The Cloudy Bay Garden’ designed by David and Harry Rich

Homebase ‘Urban Retreat’ designed by Adam Frost

Albari ‘The Beauty of Islam’ designed by Kamelia Bin Zaal

Husqvarna and Gardena ‘The Time In Between’ designed by Charlie Albone

‘The Hidden Beauty of Kranji’ designed by John Tan and Richard Toh

The RHS ‘Great Chelsea Garden Challenge Garden’ designed by Sean Murray

Laurent Perrier ‘Chatsworth Garden’  designed by Dan Pearson

Brewin Dolphin ‘The Brewin Dolphin Garden’ designed by Darren Hawkes

The best on line information is available in the links and I do have all of the plant plans so if there are any questions please ask.

Alternatively you can browse the gardens and the awards they received on the RHS website here.

I’m linking this post to Annie’s How Does Your Garden Grow over at her blog Mammasaurus.

23 Responses to “RHS Chelsea 2015”

1. Mark Willis May 21, 2015 @ 11:37 am (#)

Some great photos there, Victoria! It must be a thrill to see the gardens “in the flesh”. I have been watching the programmes on the TV, but I’m sure they cannot really convey the true atmosphere of the place and occasion. Have you picked up any good ideas to pursue?

• Victoria Wildman replied: — May 21st, 2015 @ 11:53 am

Thank you Mark! It is and I’m sure that you and Jane would love it. I think the TV coverage is very good but you do get a different perspective seeing them close up. It’ll some times completely change your mind about a garden.

I do have a space set aside in the new plot for a flower border so will be looking at the planting plans carefully to see what we can incorporate.

2. Stephanie Robinson May 21, 2015 @ 1:17 pm (#)

It all looks great – we’re going along Friday evening so I hope the weather plays ball.  This is a great teaser ahead of our visit too – hope your ankle is on the mend quickly #hdygg

• Victoria Wildman replied: — May 21st, 2015 @ 1:38 pm

It was colder than I could have imagined Stephanie, but of course when the sun comes out a different story

I’ll look forward to hearing about your visit

3. annjenny May 21, 2015 @ 1:22 pm (#)

Yay! We are going tomorrow and I am so excited! Thank you for a lovely preview. It looks like you managed to see a lot despite the crowds.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — May 21st, 2015 @ 1:34 pm

Oh will be thinking of you. Take a pullover, it’s chilly! Also if you want a nice place to eat, Colbert on Sloane Square is good.

I was a bit later in than I would have liked so it was a little crowded but of course everyone in very polite.

4. Ness May 21, 2015 @ 2:42 pm (#)

I’ve so enjoyed looking through your photographs. I’ve watched all the TV coverage but you still don’t get a feel for all the planting and masses of flowers.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — May 30th, 2015 @ 7:40 pm

Thank you! I’m pleased we get so much good coverage of the show on television but yes it is hard to get some of the detail.

5. Sara (@mumturnedmom) May 21, 2015 @ 5:36 pm (#)

Oh, it’s amazing! I have never been to the Show, but would absolutely love to go (bit far at the moment!). It must have been wonderful to wander through all those beautiful gardens x #HDYGG

• Victoria Wildman replied: — May 30th, 2015 @ 7:43 pm

It was Sara. Perhaps try one of the shows closer to where you live. They all have their own personality.

6. david ford May 21, 2015 @ 7:54 pm (#)

phew what a lovely collection of photos saved me going to the show

• Victoria Wildman replied: — May 30th, 2015 @ 7:41 pm

Ha David, thank you, but you should go. There were whole bits I didn’t manage to visit.

7. Mammasaurus May 21, 2015 @ 10:14 pm (#)

First up sprained ankle? Sorry to hear that Victoria, I did mine about 6 weeks ago now and it’s still not right. Seriously frustrating at how even a slight uneven bit of ground can set the pain off again isn’t it? Cobblestones in Rhodes were not kind to mine sadly.
    But photos! Lots of lovely photos and inspiration! This post makes me want to head out and see it all for myself – if only I could. I like the stone in many of these photos, soft against the colours. I’m not so fussed on the whole tin can thing, I think I spy a photo in there with some in rusty colours showing through. People seem to be going buts for it of late but I’m skeptical.
    Off to tweet you about meeting up next week and you would have been proud of me this week, I made Deliah’s fairy cakes!
    Thanks for joining in x

• Victoria Wildman replied: — May 30th, 2015 @ 7:32 pm

Oh well done re the fairy cakes, have been rather remiss in my baking activities of late. Sorry to hear about your ankle. Who knew they were such a pain.

8. chickenruby May 22, 2015 @ 7:16 am (#)

apart from a few splashes of red i felt the gardens lacked a lot of colour, lots of pale and pastel colours, which made me pay more attention to the foliage, love the shots of the Proteas, reminds me of home back in South Africa

• Victoria Wildman replied: — May 30th, 2015 @ 7:35 pm

I attended a talk given by Toby Buckland last year. He said that gardens should be planned on the basis of the foliage because plants are in leaf for far longer than they are in flower. A good thought.

The proteas was stunning although I believe the judges thought it looked out of place so the garden was marked down. What a shame.

9. Merlinda Little May 22, 2015 @ 8:15 am (#)

Everything is so pretty. This is something that I cant attend and yet here are the highlights of the show. Thanks for sharing. I dont know how many times I scrolled up and down to see everything again. They are amazing photos =) #hdygg

• Victoria Wildman replied: — May 30th, 2015 @ 7:37 pm

Merlinda I’m so glad you liked the photos. I think there was something there for everyone. The television coverage I think is very good though you capture the detail more in a still shot.

10. Kriss MacDonald May 22, 2015 @ 10:18 am (#)

So wonderful having a look at so many great gardens. I used to go quite often to the Chelsea Flower Show and you’ve made me realise I must make sure I go next year again.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — May 30th, 2015 @ 7:38 pm

Oh do Kriss. I didn’t go for many years and regret it now. I’m not so interested in the trade stands but oh those gardens!

11. Rosie @Eco-Gites of Lenault May 28, 2015 @ 4:44 am (#)

Lovely photos and I am immensely impressed that you have managed to not get any people in them!

• Victoria Wildman replied: — May 30th, 2015 @ 7:30 pm

Thank you. The gardens themselves cannot be accessed by the public Rosie.  I think the Chatsworth Garden was planned to allow people to walk through but the health and safety people said no!

12. Pingback: 106. How Does Your Garden Grow? - @anniespratt