Butterflies In The Glasshouse

Last weekend waking up to a sunny Sunday morning we decided to abandon our very muddy, waterlogged plot for the day and drive over to RHS Wisley.  I was keen, as ever, to visit the vegetable garden, take some photographs and have a walk.  What we hadn’t factored in was how cold it would be and though I did all the things I wanted to it was barely an hour before I was seeking some warmth.

The Glasshouse RHS Wisley

So with that in mind we headed over to The Glasshouse which houses Wisley’s collection of exotic plants, with dry temperate, moist temperate and tropical zones it features palms, cacti, orchid collections and many other species that we would only normally expect to grow as house plants in the UK.  Whilst these are always a pleasure to see on grand scale in their jungle like setting, on Sunday they played a bit of a supporting role to the stunningly beautiful butterflies that are being introduced in preparation for the annual Butterflies in the Glasshouse exhibition which starts this coming weekend.

The Glasshouse RHS Wisley

The Glasshouse RHS Wisley

If you’re familiar with The Glasshouse you’ll know that it’s always busy, children seem to find it particularly appealing and their squeals of joy can be heard as soon as you enter. On this occasion however they seemed silenced in wonder as the butterflies darted from plant to plant pausing only to visit their feeding stations.  It was just a joy.

The Glasshouse RHS Wisley

The Glasshouse RHS Wisley

The Glasshouse RHS Wisley

The Glasshouse RHS Wisley

Utterly mesmerising to adults and children alike I’ll certainly be making time to visit again.

The butterflies will be in The Glasshouse from the 17th of January until the 8th of March and there is a range of activities and events planned during this time. It’s very popular so you do need to book and all details can be found here.

I’m linking this post to Annie’s How Does Your Garden Grow over at her blog mammasaurus.

15 Responses to “Butterflies In The Glasshouse”

1. Sue Garrett January 14, 2015 @ 5:18 pm (#)

I want ti get to the Tropical House at Roundhay Park near Leeds to have a go at photographing some exotic butterflies. You’ve beaten me to it 🙂

• Victoria Wildman replied: — January 15th, 2015 @ 1:28 pm

Sue, I’m sure your photo’s would out do mine by a mile so I hope you do go.

2. Caro January 15, 2015 @ 8:58 am (#)

I always enjoy seeing the butterflies in their tropical setting at London Zoo where the enclosure is relatively small so this must be a glorious sight in the big glasshouse at Wisley. I’m just waiting for a sunny Sunday to drive round to Wisley – I’d forgotten there was a veg garden there so I’ll need plenty of time for a wander!

• Victoria Wildman replied: — January 15th, 2015 @ 1:33 pm

We went to London Zoo a couple of years ago and loved and I think children would enjoy them equally.  I suppose the added bonus with The Glasshouse is the plants.

The vegetable is a little bare at the moment though of course very ordered.

3. Amanda January 15, 2015 @ 1:55 pm (#)

Looks like a delightful place to visit

4. Claudia January 15, 2015 @ 1:56 pm (#)

what a beautiful spring post! this looks so close to home. it might as well be the fairchild botanical garden here in miami. loving your new blog look also!

5. Iona@Redpeffer January 15, 2015 @ 5:41 pm (#)

I do enjoy butterfly houses although my youngest isn’t terribly keen! I’m especially keen on the warmth of these places at this time of year too 🙂

6. Gemma January 15, 2015 @ 6:45 pm (#)

Oh wow, those butterflies are beautiful! We have a butterfly conservation area where I live and this has reminded me I need to visit when it’s warm and the butterflies are around 🙂

7. Rosie @Eco-Gites of Lenault January 15, 2015 @ 7:59 pm (#)

I have only ever got as far as the shops at Wisley whilst whizzing to or from a ferry crossing – I really do need to get further than that don’t I?! #HDYGG

8. Mammasaurus January 15, 2015 @ 8:02 pm (#)

Beautiful! We so need to get there soon. January is a mad time but February looks good for sure and I just know that Kitty and Ozzy will go mad for those butterflies!
    Hope everything is good your end Victoria – we miss you xx

9. annjenny January 15, 2015 @ 9:28 pm (#)

How lovely and what a welcome break from the freezing weather at the moment!

10. nessjibberjabberuk January 15, 2015 @ 10:36 pm (#)

I love butterfly houses but I’m usually one with the screaming kids so I don’t get the chance to appreciate them!

11. Stephanie January 16, 2015 @ 2:09 pm (#)

How fantastic – I heard on the radio that this was happening so I’m happy to see some photos. I didn’t realise it was only for a few months -Wisley is on my visit list so best I get myself over there before they go!  Lovely post #hdygg

12. Catherine January 16, 2015 @ 2:56 pm (#)

What a fantastic event!  I wish we lived closer to Wisley, butterflies are my 3 year old’s absolute favourite thing, she would be in her element.  You’ve inspired me to find some local butterfly houses we can visit 🙂

13. Merlinda (@pixiedusk) January 16, 2015 @ 8:49 pm (#)

Wow look at that amazing weather! I love it!
    The flowers there are just the nicest and those butterflies would agree I think. Thanks for sharing. These photos are great in lifting spirits that’s cold from this gloomy weather. #hdygg