Monday Plotlines

Very wet and weirdly warm for the time of year best describes the weather here at the moment.  I arrived at the plot yesterday morning to find the entrance to the site under six inches of water.

A combination of  a much needed manure delivery, the last lot disappeared in three weeks flat, and continual rain renders it slippy and perilous underfoot even if wearing stout wellington boots.

Southbourne Gardens

The digging and clearing continues and we’re resigned now to having to get a skip in to clear  the rubbish away.  I was pleased, however to find the tin bath, if you’re a fan of Sarah Raven you’ll see these in the Christmas catalogue planted up with yellow pansies, a very cheering I think.  The plot could really do with some Winter colour.

Southbourne Gardens

We’re getting some great salad crops from the Rocket Gardens plug plants we bought a couple of months ago and I’ll share some photos of these later this week, my only sadness is that yet again we have whitefly on the kale and cavolo nero.  Just too warm perhaps?  Also a good crop of carrots and parsnips.

Carrots and Parsnips

The wheat and spelt have germinated and the birds have had a party, little did we know how keen they’d be on the tender young shoots, another lesson to net everything.  The question now is, do we sow some more to fill in gaps.  The garlic has also germinated so now it’s just the broad beans to go in and we’re done for this year, though with new seed catalogues already dropping through the letterbox it’s not far off starting all over again.

Thank you for reading.

V.

I am linking this post to Annie’s How Does Your Garden Grow over at her blog mammasaurus.

20 Responses to “Monday Plotlines”

1. Agents+of+Field November 17, 2014 @ 1:36 pm (#)

Sorry to hear your kale has been invaded by the dreaded whitefly. Ours too, although some of the young leaves have been spared. Great carrots and parsnips though! AoF x

• Victoria Wildman replied: — November 17th, 2014 @ 2:46 pm

It’s so disheartening and I’m reluctant to spray.  Love parsnips form the plot.

2. Sue+Garrett November 17, 2014 @ 4:15 pm (#)

It’s been wet and miserable here but we haven;t had a lot of actual rain. It’s just that the stuff that has fallen isn’t drying up.

Your soil looks OK for digging unlike ours which being heavy clay is claggy

• Victoria Wildman replied: — November 17th, 2014 @ 7:12 pm

Soggy as anything here Sue.  It’s just about OK for digging albeit a filthy job.

3. Mark Willis November 17, 2014 @ 6:39 pm (#)

Re Whitefly: I tried a mix of dilute washing-up liquid with tons of raw garlic, copiously sprayed onto the plants. It didn’t completely fix the problem, but I think it did some good. Certainly lots of Whitefly got killed!

• Victoria Wildman replied: — November 17th, 2014 @ 7:14 pm

I think this is the last time I’ll be growing it Mark.  We had some small savoy cabbages earlier this year that worked better.

4. david ford November 18, 2014 @ 10:00 am (#)

We`re not keen on either of those two veg the whitefly attacked so  don`t grow either of them, those parsnips and carrots look terrific.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — November 18th, 2014 @ 12:14 pm

I don’t think I will be in future either David.  The carrots and parsnips were a bit of an afterthought so we’re very pleased with them.

5. annjenny November 18, 2014 @ 6:47 pm (#)

That is some serious mud! But lovely carrots and parsnips.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — November 20th, 2014 @ 3:28 pm

Thank you, they were rather nice.

6. Sara (@mumturnedmom) November 20, 2014 @ 5:06 pm (#)

Oh, your carrots and parsnips look fabulous! We have a new garden this year, so not very organised on the planting front at the moment, but I have plans for next year… #HDYGG

• Victoria Wildman replied: — November 20th, 2014 @ 5:15 pm

Thank you Sara.  So exciting to make plans for a new space.

7. Iona@Redpeffer November 20, 2014 @ 6:05 pm (#)

I agree, the carrots and parsnips look lovely.  We’ve noticed our garlic has started to appear, as well as some winter onions. Im actually hoping it cools down a bit now as they need some frost really.

8. Gemma November 20, 2014 @ 7:57 pm (#)

They are some very tasty looking carrots and parsnips. The whitefly got the last of my kale, it was covered in them!! Pesky little critters.

9. Annie November 20, 2014 @ 8:47 pm (#)

You are both in for a treat come Sunday roast time! Mind you don’t do yourself a mischief on that slippy ground – I need you in tip top Wisley condition for the 30th. Looking forward to a catch up, a good gossip and to find out all your news!!!
    Thanks for joining in again Victoria x

10. Stephanie November 20, 2014 @ 11:54 pm (#)

Ah the arrival of seed catalogues – one of the most dangerous times of the year!

11. Amanda November 21, 2014 @ 9:06 am (#)

The carrots and parsnips look wonderful, a shame about the whitefly, but we learn through this things don’t we!
    You’re the second person to mention Sarah Raven, I shall have to check “her” out

12. nessjibberjabberuk November 21, 2014 @ 1:46 pm (#)

Such rotten weather we seem to be having with all the rain. I hope you don’t get stuck in the entrance to your allotment! Most the cavolo nero and kale I have seen has been netted this year. I guess it needs a good frost to zap them.

13. Rosie @Eco-Gites of Lenault November 24, 2014 @ 7:24 am (#)

I am waiting for the local farmer to deliver me a load of manure (black gold!) …I may need to give him a polite reminder otherwise it’ll be too wet and he’ll churn everything up when he delivers it … or he’ll have to dump it too far away from the veg plat and I’ll have further (uphill) to barrow it!

14. Agents of Field January 4, 2015 @ 3:48 pm (#)

Hi Victoria,
    Happy New Year to you! We’ve nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award, more info here:

Hope all’s well with you! Ade & Sophie