Monday Plotlines

Hello Monday!  And for once I’m glad to see it. After a gloomy and cold Sunday, that saw me scurrying back from the plot after less than an hour, we have a gloriously balmy autumn day with full sun and blues skies.

DSC_5096

This is normally the time for clearing up at the plot, a bit of out door housework if you will and whilst there’s plenty of that we also been doing plenty of planting. The garlic arrived and is now in and after a trip to a Franchi Seeds open day a couple of weeks ago Derek has sown spelt and some wheat, his new challenge post the chillies to grow and bake a loaf of bread. I have no idea how this will go, so all advice is gratefully received.

DSC_5106

DSC_5721

DSC_5006

We’re still working on clearing the new plot but it’s proving to be very hard going now we’re digging at the back. I guess this hasn’t been dug over for four years or more and hour really is enough before we need to break and find something a bit lighter to do.  This combined with keeping it weed free in other areas will be a big challenge in the coming months and I’m resigned now to it being another couple of years before it looks as we want it to.

DSC_5718

On the plus side I have now planted five new rhubarb plants at the front of this plot, three Reed’s Red and two Prince Albert both early varieties from Pennard Plants chosen to complement the Hawke’s Champagne and Victoria on the existing plot, which don’t tend to produce fruit until March.

DSC_5720

You may be wondering about the photos in this post. Well they’re not taken on my plot but on Bob’s and whilst I’ve never been a big fan of chrysanthemums, a bit too garage forecourt, I must confess to thinking they look rather splendid at the moment when every thing else seems to be dying back. Your thoughts?

Anyway I hope your managing to get out into the garden in this lovely weather and thank you for reading.

V.

As a postscript Sue from Our Plot At Green Lane Allotments has recommended a company called Woolmans, their site looks excellent and the link is here.

14 Responses to “Monday Plotlines”

1. Kaz Brown October 27, 2014 @ 5:18 pm (#)

Fantastic, you’d think it was still summer! Your flowers look beautiful 🙂 Chrysanthemums remind me of Dahlias.  I’d like to grow some of the dusky vintage pink colour next year.  I wonder if they’re difficult to grow? Stunning photography as always x

• Victoria Wildman replied: — October 27th, 2014 @ 7:44 pm

Thank you Kaz. It was so warm today, couldn’t quite believe it. I’ve no idea at all about growing Chrysanthemums but I’m really keen to get some autumn colour on the plot.

2. elaine October 28, 2014 @ 7:52 am (#)

Sounds like you have your work cut out with all that needs doing – it can be daunting. Wonderful shots of the ‘mums’ they certainly add a lovely hit of colour at this time of year.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — October 28th, 2014 @ 8:32 am

We have Elaine and I’m trying not to rush things. Now I thought if anyone would know about the Chrysanthemums it would be you or Sue.  I’ve no idea what varieties these are as unlike the dahlias Bob doesn’t label them.

3. annjenny October 28, 2014 @ 8:50 am (#)

Beautiful flowers and welcome colour at this time of year.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — October 28th, 2014 @ 9:16 am

Isn’t it just. Have been looking on google and some varieties will flower into winter.

4. Sue+Garrett October 28, 2014 @ 9:10 am (#)

I like chrysanthemums for cutting especially as they extend the season, I really like the bronzes and burgundies.

As for Mondays I now love them just as much as any other day.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — October 28th, 2014 @ 9:18 am

Isn’t that funny Sue you’d think I’d be the same but Monday still normally feels like it always did.

As for the chrysanthemums I think I’m keener on the pink.  Do you grow them? Keen now to know what to do.

5. Sue+Garrett October 28, 2014 @ 3:37 pm (#)

We have in the past and at the moment I have some that started as pot plants which I have planted out. We are going to lift them and pot them to go in the greenhouse,

Ask your friend if you could have some cuttings when they start to regrow next spring and start from there. The spray varieties like the ones in the photos are fairly straight forward.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — October 28th, 2014 @ 8:05 pm

Thank you Sue, I’ll do that and also I found a company called Halls of Heddon that seem to have quite a lot of information/varieties for sale.

6. Sue+Garrett October 29, 2014 @ 8:57 am (#)

We’ve had them from a company called Woolmans in the past – they have a website if you Google them

• Victoria Wildman replied: — October 29th, 2014 @ 10:41 am

Thank you for that Sue, they look really good and nice to see decent photos, I’ve added the link into the post.

7. Anna October 29, 2014 @ 8:38 pm (#)

Oh spelt and wheat sound intriguing . Will be interested to hear how these crops fare.

8. Yang+Saya+Suka November 6, 2014 @ 2:09 am (#)

Your Chrysanthemum look so beautiful. I had grown Aster in the garden but didn’t do well.