Tuesday Plotlines

This week sees us fresh back from a family holiday in Cornwall. In the normal scheme of things I visit the plot most days and do a few ‘jobs’, little and often being the thing in my mind, and it seems like not much changes. Clearly I achieve more than I think because although gone for just ten days we returned to a bit of a jungle.  Any plans I had for days out on Sunday were put aside in a bid to get things back on track

Southbourne Gardens

Derek was keen to mow the paths, one of his favourite jobs, on the basis that it would ‘make everything look better’ and this is true, it does, but to me it’s a superficial job and the real nitty gritty is dealing with the beds.  Clearing, weeding and tidying.

Southbourne Gardens

Southbourne Gardens

The tomatoes in particular had put on a whole new growth spurt and some of the plants with the heavier fruits, marmande and pink ruffle had fallen over completely.  Luckily no blight but in the warm, damp conditions with a very juicy, sweet food supply on tap the slugs were having a party.  We’ve now removed as much foliage as possible, added extra canes for support and taken off any tomatoes that have been eaten or are starting to rot.

Southbourne Gardens

You may remember we planted a whole load of seedlings a while back, beetroot, turnips, coriander etc.  Well these have also been providing a ready food supply for the mice with only the carrots and the beetroot doing well.  So back to the drawing board with how we protect crops sown directly until they become established.  All tips welcome.

Southbourne Gardens

So five hours of hard work and we’ve reclaimed the plot, the weather here is gorgeous and it’s on with the planning for autumn winter planting. More of which soon.

All these photographs were taken yesterday morning and the central path looks super trim due to Site Chairman John’s mowing efforts.

As ever thank you for reading and let me know in the comments what’s going on in your garden.

V.

13 Responses to “Tuesday Plotlines”

1. Manneskjur September 9, 2014 @ 12:11 pm (#)

I do hope that you enjoyed your holiday Victoria!

Here the runner beans have made a dramatic comeback – the guinea pigs are very happy about that !

• Victoria Wildman replied: — September 11th, 2014 @ 7:46 am

Thank you Annie, hope we can catch up soon.

2. Sue Garrett September 9, 2014 @ 12:16 pm (#)

It’s difficult to protect against mice isn’t it fortunately we don’t seem to have a mouse issue despite yesterday finding a next in the compost heap

• Victoria Wildman replied: — September 11th, 2014 @ 7:49 am

We’ve found that much denser netting can help, but it’s so variable, have sown carrots etc. before now with no problems.

3. annjenny September 9, 2014 @ 5:21 pm (#)

It is amazing how fast things grow … especially the weeds when your back is turned! Protecting young crops is difficult isn’t it. We were disappointed earlier today to find that our crop of leeks has been more or less destroyed by something. I’ve been ‘googling’ and have decided it may have been leek moth. I think next year, I may have to cover them with fleece or something similar when they are first planted out.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — September 11th, 2014 @ 7:51 am

I think I’m going to draw up a check list of possibilities Ann.  We only have a quarter left of what we originally planted.

4. Agents of Field September 10, 2014 @ 8:54 pm (#)

Fabulous pictures! Your plot looks pretty tidy to me! Sophie

• Victoria Wildman replied: — September 11th, 2014 @ 7:52 am

Ha, I didn’t show the ‘before’ shots!

5. Gemma September 11, 2014 @ 8:36 am (#)

Cornwall is a beautiful place, we usually go down there once a year for a few days. Your sunflowers are looking great, so cheerful! Glad you manage to avoid tomato blight.

6. Sue Garrett September 11, 2014 @ 8:43 am (#)

It is true that cutting the grass makes everything look so much better.

7. Claudia September 11, 2014 @ 10:29 am (#)

i know exactly how that goes. we have spent many weekends in the yard while i would have rather been somewhere else. but, a great garden takes work and yours is lovely.

8. Iona@Redpeffer September 11, 2014 @ 11:24 am (#)

i hope you had a lovely holiday in Cornwall-such a beautiful spot. I went away for two weeks and came back to a garden of devastation so I can understand your feelings! it looks like your time has been very productive since your return though 🙂

9. Ness (@jibberjabberuk) September 11, 2014 @ 8:46 pm (#)

What a fabulous plot you have. We are on our local allotment’s waiting list but as we are currently number 29 it’s going to be some time before we get one.