A Snapshot Of Furzey Gardens

Furzey Gardens describes itself  as ‘a haven of peace and tranquillity’ and that’s just about right because I think on the wettest bank holiday I can remember we were just about the only group of people visiting.  It had been planned some weeks ago and being very much of the ‘there’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes’ school of thought I wasn’t going to be thrown off by a ‘bit’ of rain. Especially because this has been on my visiting wish list ever since it won a gold medal at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show in 2012 with it’s very first entry.  When looking for a garden somewhere in The New Forest to meet my chum Annie and her children I put a call out on twitter, with one or two exceptions Furzey was the response, so it was game on.

Furzey Gardens

Planted in 1922, it’s an informal space, with a myriad of pathways meandering away from the original sixteenth century cottage and kitchen garden down to a lake full of lillies and through the woodland.  As might be expected in such a setting the planting is mainly trees and shrubs that have been chosen to provide colour and interest throughout the year. Azaleas and Rhododendrons in spring, bluebells, cyclamen and narcissus, through to autumn where the beautiful, warm fire shades of red and orange from the foliage take over.  Dotted around the gardens are shelters, child appealing tree houses and a bug barn all with ‘Furzey thatching’.  If you look carefully there are even fairy doors to be found.  The Chelsea garden is also recreated here. It’s all rather magical.

Furzey Gardens

Whilst being a beautiful space what  also makes this garden really special is that it is run by the Furzey Gardens Charitable Trust part of the larger Minstead Training Trust. The trust provides residential care and horticultural training to adults with learning disabilities and its students work within the gardens and nursery gaining horticultural experience and craft skills. These crafts are sold in the gift shop and plants that they will have raised can be bought from the nursery.

A little bit of enchantment set right in the heart of the New Forest

Minstead is just outside of  Lyndhurst. The location map can be found here.

Opening Times and Prices
Gardens open daily from 10am to 6pm all year round.

The Gallery Gift and Coffee Shop is open from 1st March to the end of October. Daily from 10am to 5pm. Last orders for refreshments are 4.15pm.

Prices and Donations
Entrance to the nursery, gift and coffee shop is free.

Entrance to the Gardens is by set minimum donation of :

Adults £7.50
Children (ages 4-16) £4.00
Children under 4 are free
Family ticket (2 adults and 3 children) £19.50
Disabled visitor and helper free
Annual “Furzey Friends” Membership £49.50 (member and up to 3 guests).

All other information can be found here.

If you’d like to read more about the work of  the  Minstead Training Trust you can do so here

20 Responses to “A Snapshot Of Furzey Gardens”

1. annjenny August 26, 2014 @ 11:18 am (#)

It looks enchanting. I love your photos and think it looks even more beautiful due to the rain!

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 26th, 2014 @ 12:32 pm

Thank you Ann. We did get very,very wet but it was just lovely.

2. elaine August 27, 2014 @ 6:11 am (#)

What a wonderful place – sounds as though you enjoyed your trip – even though the weather was a disaster.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 27th, 2014 @ 7:07 pm

It is Elaine,a very good day out and better wet than moping around indoors I think.

3. Sue Garrett August 27, 2014 @ 9:13 am (#)

Raindrops on plants adds another dimension doesn’t it but the poor robin doesn’t look too impressed

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 27th, 2014 @ 7:09 pm

No he wasn’t albeit there was a cat that was very wet and took a shine to Annie’s daughter Kitty and so followed us around.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before.

4. Manneskjur August 28, 2014 @ 8:09 am (#)

It was such a lovely place Victoria – we must do it again. Dry Autumn craft session! x

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 28th, 2014 @ 4:14 pm

I thought so too.  Perhaps we could do something during the half term week?

5. Iona@Redpeffer August 28, 2014 @ 5:44 pm (#)

The rain definitely added to the atmosphere of the photographs i think. I know Lyndhurst a little, if we’re ever down that way we’ll try to visit. Looks like my kind of place.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 29th, 2014 @ 1:35 pm

It’s just a couple of miles outside of Lyndhurst which is a very pretty little town and yes I’m thinking that we might have got lucky having the opportunity to be alone because of the rain.

6. Gemma August 28, 2014 @ 6:00 pm (#)

Those glass leaves are really unusual. Good on you all for going even though it was wet, looks like a good day 🙂 Lovely plump robin!

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 29th, 2014 @ 1:41 pm

They’re Rhododendron leaves and were made by the students, staff and volunteers and represent diversity.  The light coming through them was so pretty.

The robin looked cute but not very happy!

7. Claudia August 28, 2014 @ 8:07 pm (#)

sounds like such an amazing day and place!!

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 29th, 2014 @ 1:39 pm

It really is special Claudia.

8. Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) August 29, 2014 @ 12:50 pm (#)

The photos reminds me of a vacation I had with my grandparents when I am a kid. They have this thatched roofed house and when it rains I look at how pretty it is outside and watch the rain flow from the roof. Sweet memories brought back by your photos =) #hdygg

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 29th, 2014 @ 1:37 pm

Thank you, how kind of you to say and a coincidence because I was also thinking of my grandmother’s garden while we were walking around.

9. Diane August 31, 2014 @ 10:59 am (#)

What am I seeing in the first photo? Lovely.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — September 2nd, 2014 @ 5:48 am

Hi Diane. They’re rhododendron leaves made from glass by the students, volunteers and staff at Furzey and were used in their Chelsea show garden.

10. Amanda August 31, 2014 @ 9:06 pm (#)

What a wonderful garden, and such a lovely Trust to be a part of.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — September 2nd, 2014 @ 5:49 am

A lovely garden in a beautiful setting.