Friday Plotlines

What happened to summer?  I don’t know what the temperatures are like with you but here it’s definitely more mid September than August and despite the sunshine I’ve already had to delve into the sweater drawer.

Apple 'Red Devil'

The tomatoes have slowed right down and although grateful that they can be picked as and when I want, I’m now concerned that not everything will have the time it needs to become ripe.  Jono, who writes the blog Real Men Sow, has the same problem and the RHS recommended via their twitter account that a feed of potassium might help, though not to exceed the suggested dose in case the flavour is affected. So I’m guessing we’re not alone.

Sunflowers

Borage

Potato 'Vanessa'

Some of the chillies and the bell peppers that are in pots I’m now considering moving back into the green house because if the tomatoes are slow these are at a complete standstill.  There’s plenty of fruit but it’s staying resolutely green.

On a brighter note we have plenty of sweetcorn, as many runner beans as we can eat and I’ve ‘discovered’ some ‘Minicole’ cabbages that we planted months ago on the new plot and forgot about. Given the benign neglect, they’re looking rather splendid.

Tomato 'Black Russian'

Lavender

The last couple of weeks have been about housekeeping on the plot and this weekend will be no exception. I wrote about tidying up the strawberries in the last post and it’ll be the lavender next. Bob removed the flower heads from his plants earlier this week and the smell throughout the site was heavenly, so this is one  job I’m really looking forward to.  Less appealing is the inevitable green house tidy and pot wash.

My thoughts of course are now turning to the next season and for the first time I’m planning a big autumn planting around vegetables, salad crops and bulbs.  Plenty to be getting on with.

Thank you as ever for reading.

V.

9 Responses to “Friday Plotlines”

1. Sue Garrett August 22, 2014 @ 8:46 am (#)

Trimming lavender is on my to do list too. It’s definitely cook here and not much sunshine.

I have a vine planted against the shed on the plot that has some lovely bunches of grapes that were swelling well but I guess this weather will have put a stop to things, After all the tlc spent keeping it trimmed,

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 22nd, 2014 @ 9:35 am

We have plenty of sun, it’s just very chilly.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 23rd, 2014 @ 4:55 pm

I’m just hoping it doesn’t get any cooler. Will be just sixteen degrees on Monday.

Interested to know about your vines. Derek wants to plant some next year.

2. Sarah August 23, 2014 @ 9:17 am (#)

It’s definitely turned cooler, and windier here. I’m hoping that the start of the school term will see some warmer days – it often does. Pruning the lavender is one of my favourite jobs… I don’t even mind weeding around the plants because it smells so good!

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 23rd, 2014 @ 4:58 pm

In that respect I think it’s probably my favourite plant albeit I’ve been looking at some roses today that might give it a run.

3. Pingback: Friday Plotlines – Southbourne Gardens

4. Manneskjur August 23, 2014 @ 4:13 pm (#)

My tomatoes are doing that too! I’ve taken to picking them and the vine bit they are on and popping them on the kitchen windowsill – they ripen much much faster there and the flavour doesn’t seem to be any different 🙂
    I wore bed socks last night. (like you needed to know that!)
    See you Monday! x

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 23rd, 2014 @ 5:01 pm

Laughing. I was wondering where my socks were a couple of days ago.

I’ve heard that bananas also help to ripen tomatoes but have yet to try that one. Alternatively there’ll be a lot of green tomato chutney floating around.

Looking forward to Monday too. Will message you on twitter tomorrow.

5. elaine August 27, 2014 @ 6:13 am (#)

Trimming the lavender is on the list – once it stops raining that is – I still have last years flower heads waiting to be made into lavender bags – they still smell beautiful after all this time.