Lavender Scented Poached Apricots

Last week Isabel from Fennel & Fern asked me if I would take part in their new monthly Herb Recipe Challenge, the first herb being lavender.  So here’s the thing, lavender is just about my favourite herb, I adore the look and scent of it on the plot and I use the essential oil all the time at home, but cooking with it I wasn’t so sure. Fearful I suppose that it might be too ‘medicinal’.

DSC_3843

After plenty of thought,  this is what I came up with.  A very simple poaching syrup made from honey and a pinch of  lavender that gives a delicate, fragrant flavour to some juicy, fresh apricots. I’ve served them here with some Greek yoghurt and a little extra honey drizzled on top to brighten your breakfast.

Lavender Scented Poached Peaches

I you have any favourite recipes using lavender I’d love to hear about them in the comments or if you written a blog post you can link up with Fennel & Fern here.

I’m also linking this post to Simple and In Season hosted by Elizabeth and Ren.

Lavender Scented Poached Apricots

Yield: 2

Total Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

2 large ripe apricots

100 ml water

30 ml runny honey plus extra for serving

a quarter of a teaspoon of culinary lavender - I used Bart Spices

Greek yoghurt

Directions:

Heat the water, honey and lavender in a saucepan that will hold the apricots in a single layer.

Meanwhile cut the apricots in half and remove the stone.

Place them cut side down in the poaching liquor and cook very gently for five minutes.

Turn them over and cook for a couple more minutes.

Take off the heat and leave to cool for a few minutes.

Remove from the liquid and serve with yoghurt and a little more honey spooned over the top.

12 Responses to “Lavender Scented Poached Apricots”

1. sue turner August 11, 2014 @ 3:34 pm (#)

Love your lavender recipe…have some ( bought ) peaches, I going to give it a go…. 🙂

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 11th, 2014 @ 3:41 pm

Ooh yes peaches. I also thought the fruit would be really good chopped a little finer and put on a pavlova.

2. Thalia @ butter and brioche August 12, 2014 @ 2:29 am (#)

how gorgeous is this! love a good poached apricot.. definitely perfect for breakfast. i will so be creating this recipe for my mornings.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 12th, 2014 @ 7:07 am

Thalia, thank you for taking the time to read. I’d love to know if you like it.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 12th, 2014 @ 7:11 am

Just clicked through to butter and brioche. What a lovely site, will have a good browse later.

3. annjenny August 12, 2014 @ 12:52 pm (#)

Like you, I have been a little cautious about using lavender in cooking, but this looks very delicious.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 12th, 2014 @ 1:25 pm

Thank you Ann. I’ve just bought a book by Francis Bissell called The Scented Kitchen which has some lovely recipes for all sorts of flowers including a rose petal meringue so I’m looking forward to experimenting.

4. Pingback: Lavender Scented Poached Apricots

5. Elizabeth August 29, 2014 @ 10:48 am (#)

What a beautiful recipe with such elegant flavours – I love it! Thank you for sharing with Simple and in Season 🙂 Saying that, you’ve linked up, I’ve got the pingback but I can’t see on this page where you’ve linked!

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 29th, 2014 @ 1:14 pm

I am sorry Elizabeth, I took it off a couple of days ago.  In all the confusion I thought I’d just posted the one recipe. It’s back up now.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the post.

6. Pingback: Simple and in Season – 50 Sensational Summer Recipes