Saturday Plotlines

A mixed week at the plot.  The rain meaning that all of us at Southbourne Gardens have been able to catch up with other things, so whilst there were a record nine of us for coffee on Tuesday morning, Bob sat all alone on Wednesday.  Most unusual.  We also solved last week’s mystery of the eaten apples with site secretary Patrick identifying his son Joe as the muncher.  I’m just hoping he doesn’t take a shine to our chillies.

DSC_3834

The big news for  us this week is that just as I was about to rip up the aubergine plants I finally have fruit, just the one and it is very small but it’s definitely there and my hopes of home grown ratatouille  are restored.  Still no beans though!

DSC_3829

DSC_3006

DSC_3830

DSC_2745

Our Black Russian tomatoes are now ripe and though not the prettiest tomatoes I’ve ever seen they are probably the tastiest, with dark, rich, juicy flesh. I’ve been making fresh salsa with them.  Chopping them up into 1cm chunks adding some finely chopped chilli, olive oil and salt. Really good with grilled white fish.  The green zebra tomatoes on the other hand are a bit tasteless so will be off the list for next year.

DSC_3831

DSC_3037

DSC_2987

DSC_2250

We have the second round of judging next week for the Hillingdon annual allotment competition, I’d like to be able to tell you that I don’t care about such things but of course that would be a lie, so I’ll be spending the next couple of days having a good tidy up ready for the inspection.

Thank you for reading and let me know in the comments what’s going on in your garden, if you’d like to include a link to a blog post please do.

7 Responses to “Saturday Plotlines”

1. Mark Willis August 9, 2014 @ 3:05 pm (#)

Interesting comments about the tomatoes. Green Zebra is supposed to be one of the best-tasting varieties ever, but like you I found it disappointing. It was OK but not as good as expected. I had Black Russian last year and many of them split and those that didn’t grew in all sorts of weird shapes, making them difficult to use. Have you had any useable Physalis?

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 9th, 2014 @ 4:12 pm

Our Black Russian toms have split in the rain this week and although not strange shapes have ‘dry’ patches on the skin but all the flesh is useable. The small yellow plums that we bought from Victoriana have been really tasty too, because I read you were disappointed with the Banana Legs.

Re the Physalis, no we haven’t, I think it’ll be a good few weeks.

2. annjenny August 10, 2014 @ 9:22 am (#)

Your plot looks stunning. I am sure it is worthy of a prize! I have been a bit short of time this week and what with the rain I fear our plot looks a bit unkempt.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 10th, 2014 @ 8:16 pm

Ann you’re so kind. I’m hoping that they’ll look at the two plots separately because we haven’t touched the back of the new plot.

3. Pingback: Saturday Plotlines

4. Helen The good life mum August 15, 2014 @ 5:08 pm (#)

oh i love the garden can i make a request next week can i see your compost bins i think we can see them in your picture with the dahlias, kinda obsessed with good compost atm and you look like you have some fab bins

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 15th, 2014 @ 5:14 pm

Of course. I’ll take some photos. Derek made them so will be able to tell you exactly how, albeit I think with the space you’ve got they might need to be bigger than ours.