The Chilli Challenge July Update

We have chillies!  Just one or two as they ripen, but  chillies nonetheless.  I’ve spent the last couple of days at the plot taking the photographs for this post and find my self utterly fascinated by them, the flowers, the shape of the fruit, how it changes colour and having lived with these plants since January I’m feeling really rather attached to them. You may remember that this is really Derek’s project rather than mine so it’s a bit of a turnaround for me.

Hungarian Hot Wax

Vampire

Aji Limon

Ancho

Frigatello

Our only disappointment are the Hot Paper Lanterns that we bought to replace the Habaneros.  We do have fruit but the plants look sickly.  I was chatting to Mario, who runs the vegetable garden at Wisley, and he thinks we may have a fungal infection that is eating away at the stem.  All thoughts greatly appreciated.  We also have some pest damage to some of the plants and fruit, I can’t find the obvious source of this so again if anyone has any ideas.

Kung Pao

Vampire

Poblano

Cayenne

From top to bottom the photographs show:

• Hungarian Hot Wax
  • Vampire
  • Aji Limon
  • Ancho
  • Frigatello
  • Kung Pao
  • Vampire
  • Poblano
  • Cayenne

I’ve just made a fresh tomato salsa with one of the Cayennes to pep up the cheese omelettes we’re having for dinner this evening, eggs and chillies go together well in all forms, suffice to say it’s hot.  A spicy couple of months coming up I think.

As usual If you’d like to add a link to your chilli blog posts in the comments then please do.

I’m linking this post to Annie’s How Does Your Garden Grow over at her blog Manneskjur.

12 Responses to “The Chilli Challenge July Update”

1. Gemma July 31, 2014 @ 1:56 pm (#)

The colour of those purple chillies, WOW! Thanks to your post I’ve worked out that some of the chilli plants gifted to me this year are Kung Pao 🙂 A friend put some chillies on the BBQ until they were soft and slightly charred, then cut them up and added it to salsa, gave it a really nice flavour.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — July 31st, 2014 @ 4:05 pm

Unfortunately they don’t stay that colour but it’s a stunning plant. Kung Pao are great to grow and I think they’ll end up in a Thai green curry paste.

2. Amanda July 31, 2014 @ 9:03 pm (#)

The chillies look fab, ours are growing like crazy, not too sure what we will do with them all!

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 1st, 2014 @ 6:48 am

What are you growing Amanda? I think drying them or a chilli jam is probably the way to go.

3. Annie @ Manneskjur August 1, 2014 @ 7:26 am (#)

Vampire chillis look very cool indeed (or should that be hot?!) We are big chilli eater in this house but haven’t grown our own yet – I assume we need a greenhouse for them to do well?

Thanks for joining in again – and thank you for coming on Monday – jolly good to see you!

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 1st, 2014 @ 7:32 am

Do you want me to say yes? I was having a look for them on loot yesterday. The answer is no you don’t. We were very keen that anyone should be able to this. So a small heated propagator to get them going and then as long as you have a sunny, sheltered spot in the garden it will work.

Really enjoyed Monday too.

4. Philippa Tyrer August 1, 2014 @ 9:12 am (#)

Your post really makes me want to grow some chillies now – the purple ones look amazing!

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 1st, 2014 @ 1:47 pm

Thank you Phillippa!  Time consuming but not difficult.  Unfortunately the Vampire chillies won’t stay purple but we will have some yellow Aji Limon which I’m expecting to look very pretty.

5. annjenny August 1, 2014 @ 6:23 pm (#)

Wow! I didn’t realise there were so many varieties of chillies and what fab names! I may have to try growing one or two next year.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 1st, 2014 @ 8:08 pm

I think we’ve ended up with eleven varieties but it’s the tip of what’s available. Next year will be three/four which should cover how we want to use them.

6. Mark Willis August 2, 2014 @ 5:57 pm (#)

Chillis are a long-time favourite of mine, so I’m glad to see you hooked on them now! I am particularly taken with your “Vampire” ones, which look fairly similar to my “Nosferatu”.
    Here’s a link to a recent post about mine: http://marksvegplot.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/late-july-chilli-update.html

• Victoria Wildman replied: — August 2nd, 2014 @ 8:48 pm

Thank you for sharing your link Mark. I’m not sure I’d grow so many varieties next year but yes I am rather fond of them.  I really love the flowers and foliage of the Vampire, would be great if they stayed that colour.