Hitchin Lavender At Cadwell Farm

Another gorgeous week here in London and the start of the school holidays.  It doesn’t matter how old I get this still feels like the start of Summer proper, the days feel quieter, longer and more relaxed.  So here I am thinking about days out with a picnic in tow.

Hitchin Lavender

A couple of weeks ago on invitation from Annie at Manneskjur I met up with a group of blogging friends at Hitchin Lavender in Ickleford for a long lunch and a bit of nature.  We were a little early in the season to see the fields fully in bloom but  were still greeted by sights one  might normally associate with Provence. Right about now it should perfect.

Hitchin Lavender

DSC_2605

Hitchin Lavender

Hitchin Lavender

Hitchin Lavender

Hitchin Lavender

Hitchin Lavender Farm

If you’re looking after children this week and want to do something that’s fun for them but doesn’t step too far away from your gardening passions then this would make a super day out.  It’s also a great spot if your keen on photography, with plenty of butterflies, bees and wild flowers to shoot.

All the information about Hitchin Lavender can be found here.

Admission is currently £4.00 per adult and free for children under fourteen.  You will also be given a brown paper carrier bag and some scissors to cut your lavender.

There is a very nice cafe and gift shop and a large picnic area in the fields with a beautiful gazebo if you need some shade.

The fields are also opening in the evening as part of the National Gardens Scheme and there are some open air cinema nights planned. The details for those can be found here.

’m linking this post to Annie’s How Does Your Garden Grow over at her blog Manneskjur.

19 Responses to “Hitchin Lavender At Cadwell Farm”

1. David Ford July 22, 2014 @ 5:02 pm (#)

what a lovely place Victoria rolling hills and lavender to boot, bet the scent was heavenly

• Victoria Wildman replied: — July 22nd, 2014 @ 7:29 pm

It was David, a real treat, and so many bees and butterflies.  I’m sure you’d have found plenty of inspiration.  Annie also said she slept like a baby that night.

2. annjenny July 23, 2014 @ 12:32 pm (#)

What a lovely sounding day. Lavender is such a beautiful plant. I have some in the garden and on the allotment and the bees love it.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — July 23rd, 2014 @ 1:32 pm

This was full of bees. I’d like to plant some more lavender at the plot but perhaps choose different varieties so the flowers keep going.

3. Julie July 23, 2014 @ 12:43 pm (#)

I visited Hitchin Lavender on Monday with some old friends, no children and we had a lovely time. We also went to an open air cinema show there last year, that was good fun too. You took some great photos on your trip.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — July 23rd, 2014 @ 1:31 pm

It must have looked quite different? Years ago I lived in Hertford and was completely unaware of it.  A blissful spot.

4. Gemma July 24, 2014 @ 11:41 am (#)

You’re right, it does look a bit like Provence! Stunning views and I like that red tractor pootling away in the background 🙂

• Victoria Wildman replied: — July 24th, 2014 @ 1:06 pm

That was one of my favourite things too Gemma.

5. Claudia July 24, 2014 @ 12:10 pm (#)

oh how i wish i could be part of these outings. lovely shots!

6. Manneskjur July 24, 2014 @ 6:13 pm (#)

Ahhh lovely Victoria! This takes me back to that day – how I loved it. I haven’t slept  as well as I did that night in a long time – before or since!
    Loving your choice of photos – I’m grinning away here!
    Thanks for sharing x

• Victoria Wildman replied: — July 24th, 2014 @ 7:09 pm

Wasn’t it a wonderful day? I have a really sweet snap of Ozzy and Kitty that I should e mail to you. Looking forward to Monday.

7. Penny A residence July 24, 2014 @ 8:53 pm (#)

Oh the perfect way to soothe kids and me over the summer holidays! What bliss 🙂

8. Amanda July 24, 2014 @ 9:27 pm (#)

What a lovely day out, the smell must have been amazing!

• Victoria Wildman replied: — July 24th, 2014 @ 9:36 pm

It was Amanda and the sound of the bees.

9. Pingback: Hitchin Lavender At Cadwell Farm | Love All Blogs

10. Julie Roo July 27, 2014 @ 10:38 am (#)

This place looks like it wouldsmell amazing .such pretty colour

• Victoria Wildman replied: — July 27th, 2014 @ 7:41 pm

It did Julie. A real feast for the senses and so utterly restful.