Tuesday Plotlines

A couple of weeks I think since the last Plotlines post and it’s that time where I can’t quite keep up with everything.  I particularly noticed the difference today because we were away for the weekend and bar a quick pop in yesterday afternoon to water, hadn’t seen the plot since last Thursday.

Gooseberry

The corn may not be quite ‘as high as an elephant’s eye’, if anyone knows how tall that is perhaps you’d be kind enough to let me know, but the tassels are formed, the cobs filling out and my mind already turning to what I might use them for once I’ve got over the steamed with lashings of  salty butter phase. I’m thinking fresh corn muffins and a chowder.

Sweetcorn

Pumpkins

Becky

Tomatoes are forming well and I’m keenly checking for the first signs of ripeness.  We do have some small yellow plum tomatoes but honestly they’re such a great mid morning snack so no gorgeous tomato and mozzarella salads yet.

Aubergine

Garlic

We’re getting good crops of new potatoes, courgettes, little gem lettuce and French beans and I need to get on and sow some more of the latter to get a late a crop.  This was a tip from one of our past plot holders Rodney and a good one I think.  There are a couple of raised beds empty now so I’ll be also be sowing some small parsnips, coriander, beetroot and perhaps some more lettuce.

DSC_2728

Sweetcorn

The pumpkin patch is invading all four corners of our new plot, snaking down the pathways and through the tomatoes. I’m wondering how far to let this go. Should I cut the plants back? If  everything comes to fruition we’ll be well fed for months.

Karma Irene

The strawberries are now finished for the year, the raised bed tidied and the plants fed and mulched, I normally leave this job until Spring so will be interested to see if it makes any difference. The gooseberries are now ripe and will be picked in the next couple of days.

Pie at the weekend I think.

Thank you for reading.

V.

I’m linking this post to Annie’s How Does Your Garden Grow over at her blog Manneskjur.

10 Responses to “Tuesday Plotlines”

1. David Ford July 15, 2014 @ 4:53 pm (#)

Victoria your corn is a little bit more advanced than mine which is only just beginning to flower, in answer to your question it depends on the size of the elephant, my elephants eye at the moment would be 6ft from the ground

• Victoria Wildman replied: — July 15th, 2014 @ 4:59 pm

Mine are a bit more compact than that David. I’m thinking they’ll be ready in three/four weeks time.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — July 15th, 2014 @ 5:00 pm

What do you think about the pumpkins? Should I cut them back or just leave them to do their thing?

2. Pingback: Tuesday Plotlines – Southbourne Gardens

3. Sue garrett July 15, 2014 @ 7:12 pm (#)

I have seen squash plants trained in a spiral held in place with strategically placed canes where space is a problem.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — July 15th, 2014 @ 7:35 pm

We might be a bit late for that, but you were right Sue when you said things would grow well in that space. What I might do is just cut some of the stems.

4. annjenny July 15, 2014 @ 7:28 pm (#)

Beautiful photos! I have the same problem with squash plants roaming across the plot at will! I’ve been wondering whether to try growing them up canes, but not sure if they would be too heavy.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — July 15th, 2014 @ 7:36 pm

Have you seen Sue’s comment? We grown squash before but never seen anything like it. Thank you for your kind comment re the photos, I’m trying to put a bit more effort in!

5. Annie @ Manneskjur July 19, 2014 @ 5:31 pm (#)

Oh my it’s all growing on! I’ve finally found a use for the gazillion courgettes here, a nice little spicy chutney recipe that I came across on the web – feeling very motivated by the thought of homemade chutney with some stinky cheese and crackers over Christmas (with obligatory port of course!)
    I am daydreaming about buttered corn on the cob now!
    Thanks for sharing again lovely lady – not long till Wisely  🙂

• Victoria Wildman replied: — July 19th, 2014 @ 7:19 pm

I hope you’ll  do a post about the chutney.  Love seeing new recipes and everyone wants a new idea for courgettes by this time of year.

Cant’ wait for Wisley – nine more sleeps.