Potassium Deficiency In Tomato Plants

Some of our tomato plants have taken on a definite tinge of purple since planting out at the beginning of June, they are also not growing as well as might be expected and in general look a bit sickly.  A quick romp around Google, what would we do without it, reveals this to be a deficiency in potassium.

Tomato Black Russian

The RHS have an interesting perspective on this saying that it’s worth remembering that tomatoes are tropical plants and whilst it might be June, as it was when I rang them, night time temperatures will still only be in the high single figures.  The plants find this cold and it therefore inhibits their metabolism of nutrients from the soil.

Tomato Black Russian

As the plants have now set some fruit I’ve started feeding the plants with Tomorite and I’m hoping that this with some warmer weather will resolve the situation

If you have had this problem I’d be very interested to know your thoughts.

8 Responses to “Potassium Deficiency In Tomato Plants”

1. Sue garrett July 3, 2014 @ 9:39 am (#)

Temperatures have been dropping on a night this year but last night was fairly warm so maybe things will improve.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — July 3rd, 2014 @ 7:57 pm

The same here Sue.  Watching it closely.

2. Manneskjur July 3, 2014 @ 10:33 am (#)

It has been a fair bit colder this past week – I’m judging that by my bed-socks-omoeter. I too bought some tomorite this week, my toms seem to be growing well but with this weather I thought I better help give them a little boost!

• Victoria Wildman replied: — July 3rd, 2014 @ 8:00 pm

Love a bed sock!  Look forward to seeing your tomatoes.

3. Helen The good life mum July 6, 2014 @ 10:15 am (#)

gosh i would never of thought of that im rushing off to the greenhouse now 🙂

• Victoria Wildman replied: — July 6th, 2014 @ 2:33 pm

I think it’ll be plenty warm enough in the green house. x

4. notjustgreenfingers July 6, 2014 @ 8:49 pm (#)

This happens most years to me but it’s never a problem…as soon as you start feeding them, then they pick up

• Victoria Wildman replied: — July 6th, 2014 @ 11:10 pm

That’s good to know. I’m not sure the yield will be great but that could be the varieties that I’ve chosen.