NGS Garden Rooksnest

A day off yesterday from the plot and go scurrying off to Berkshire to a garden that’s been on my visit wish list for a couple of years now.  Being part of the National Gardens Scheme it’s a private garden that’s only open three days per year so I’d put a very firm date in the diary so I didn’t miss it yet again.

Rooksnest

DSC_2460

Whilst having a restorative slice of cake I started chatting to one of the other visitors who asked if I was going to Rooksnest which was also open and just a couple of miles away.  Truth to tell I’d had planned to rush back to watch tennis but she told me I’d be foolish not to go and  that Andy Murray would manage perfectly well without my support, which of course he did.

Rooksnest

Rooksnest

I’m glad I took her advice, the garden was a stunning, perhaps not the most insightful of views but on a glorious summer’s day I couldn’t think of anywhere else I’d rather have been.

Rooksnest

Rooknest

On a final note, opinion on the NGS seems to be mixed, with criticism of the standard in some cases, mine for what it’s worth that that people open their private gardens for good causes, it doesn’t cost a lot of money to visit and you get a nice afternoon out with cake and in this case a plant sale thrown in and if you get some sunshine then there’s not much better than that.

Details of the National Gardens Scheme here and Rooksnest here.

I’m linking this post to Annie’s How Does Your Garden Grow over at her blog Mammasaurus.

15 Responses to “NGS Garden Rooksnest”

1. annjenny June 26, 2014 @ 3:40 pm (#)

What a beautiful garden. I love visiting NGS gardens – tea and cakes, lovely gardens and all in a good cause. What more could you want!

• Victoria Wildman replied: — June 26th, 2014 @ 4:18 pm

Absolutely. I had a wonderful day.

2. Gemma June 26, 2014 @ 7:38 pm (#)

Wow, what a beautiful garden. I really need to make a note of some of the gardens to visit where I live. I’m sure there are some real gems tucked away 🙂 Like the idea of a plant sale too!

• Victoria Wildman replied: — June 27th, 2014 @ 12:45 pm

Hi Gemma, it’s very easy to find them on the NGS site, just type in your post code, the distance you want to travel and when you want to go. There should be plenty coming up in the next month or so.

3. Sue garrett June 26, 2014 @ 8:22 pm (#)

It’s always good to have a snoop round someone else’s garden.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — June 27th, 2014 @ 12:46 pm

It’s certainly a different perspective Sue and this one is so richly planted.

4. Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) June 27, 2014 @ 9:35 am (#)

We are planning on visiting one of the NGS gardens here. We are just setting the date and I am so excited after seeing your post =) #hdygg

• Victoria Wildman replied: — June 27th, 2014 @ 12:49 pm

Hello Merlinda, thank you for taking the time to read and your kind comment, I hope you enjoy your visit as much as I did.

5. David Ford June 27, 2014 @ 2:00 pm (#)

lovely garden Victoria were the colours as muted in real life or is that your cameras view on it

• Victoria Wildman replied: — June 27th, 2014 @ 2:14 pm

I was shooting in very bright early afternoon sunshine and in some cases into the sun so it has bleached out the colour a bit.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — June 27th, 2014 @ 2:15 pm

I should also say that I took these with Derek’s Nikon which I’m trying to get to grips with!

6. Honey June 27, 2014 @ 4:03 pm (#)

It looks absolutely stunning!  #HDYGG  x

7. Annie @ Manneskjur June 28, 2014 @ 1:33 pm (#)

Oh that look lovely, the NGS sounds smashing to me and I know a couple of people who have been to some and loved them to bits. Totally agree with you on your thoughts too. I’m off to find out if there are any local to me now! *excited face*
    See you on Monday – and thanks for sharing with us x

• Victoria Wildman replied: — June 28th, 2014 @ 2:00 pm

Looking forward to it enormously.