Thursday Plotlines

A slightly off piste week for us. Derek took part in the London to Brighton Bike Ride at the weekend so most of  our time was tied up with that. There was a lot of preparation to do on Saturday, parking to organise, first aid kits, snacks, puncture repair kits etc. and an early start on Sunday to get to Clapham Common in time for the designated 8.00am start. I hope you don’t mind a little bragging here but I’m very proud to say that he completed the race arriving in Brighton mid afternoon.

Southbourne Gardens

We did manage to fit in some time at the plot and Saturday afternoon was spent finally putting everything in the ground, courgettes, aubergines, the rest of the tomatoes and some of the chillies.  We thought is would take a couple of hours but you know how it goes and we finally left at around five. We missed the EHS Summer Show that was taking place in the Community Hall, which of course meant missing the home made cakes.  The plus is that the greenhouse and the cold frames  are now completely empty.

Pumpkins Southbourne Gardens

It’s all about the watering from here on in, or should I say watering cans and tanks since hoses are a strictly forbidden thing. We made a decision earlier this year to keep the number of planted pots to a minimum and this has really paid off in terms of the time it takes us to get around the the plot. I’m really pleased that having the two plots doesn’t seem to take any longer, this was a major consideration when we took it on because it takes a good forty minutes of canning water in the Summer to do the job properly.

Herbs Southbourne Gardens

I guess it’s back to seed sowing now and as well as carrying on with salad crops and a few more beans I’m thinking of trying some wall flowers and sweet williams for next year.  Thank you to Sue at Out Plot At Green Lanes Allotments for the timely reminder in her post today.

Black Russian Tomato Flower

So I’m looking forward to a quiet weekend pottering around the site and making some more plants for the new plot and since the weather forecast is good perhaps a breakfast barbeque on Sunday.

I’m linking this post to  Annie’s How Does Your Garden Grow  over at her blog Mammasaurus

20 Responses to “Thursday Plotlines”

1. Pingback: Thursday Plotlines

2. Charmaine June 19, 2014 @ 4:15 pm (#)

wow, your plot really does look abundant and lush! I do love courgette flowers, they’re so pretty!

• Victoria Wildman replied: — June 19th, 2014 @ 4:43 pm

Thank you! It finally feels like it’s all coming together.

3. David Ford June 19, 2014 @ 5:03 pm (#)

Well done Derek did he ache the next day Victoria?, I just wish my little plot was as well organised as yours

• Victoria Wildman replied: — June 19th, 2014 @ 5:11 pm

Thank you David, I’ll pass that on to him.  He’s very fit so he was fine after a good dinner and early night.

4. sueturner31 June 19, 2014 @ 5:18 pm (#)

well done to you both….bike ride and allotment….

• Victoria Wildman replied: — June 19th, 2014 @ 7:19 pm

Thank you Sue.  I’ll pass your kind comment on to Derek, he was absolutely chuffed.

5. Sue garrett June 19, 2014 @ 5:54 pm (#)

So are we likely to see Derek up here in Yorkshire for le Tour?

• Victoria Wildman replied: — June 19th, 2014 @ 6:17 pm

Ha,I’m sure he’d love to. On that note I must get some dates from him so we can arrange to meet up. Would it be alright to e mail you?

6. Rosie @Eco-Gites of Lenault June 19, 2014 @ 9:35 pm (#)

Doing well there – we are still catching up after a cool spring but hopefully now summer seems to have arrived we will be going great guns very soon.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — June 20th, 2014 @ 12:47 pm

I think most things catch up, everything seems to have really bedded in in the last week or so.

7. Mammasaurus June 19, 2014 @ 10:39 pm (#)

Big high 5’s to Derek! Nice one indeed 🙂

The courgettes here are looking good too – those big yellow flowers really open up in the hot hot sunshine – love the star shapes glaring at me.

A breakfast BBQ you say – tell me more…

Thanks ever so much for joining in – I’m super chuffed! x

• Victoria Wildman replied: — June 20th, 2014 @ 12:45 pm

Thank you Annie, I’ll pass your comment on to Derek, he’ll be chuffed.  Ah, yes breakfast BBQ, sausage in a bun, all very nice after a morning weeding and watering.

8. Jenna@TransformingIntoButterflies June 20, 2014 @ 10:24 am (#)

Your courgettes are looking great 🙂 Some lovely pictures here 🙂

• Victoria Wildman replied: — June 20th, 2014 @ 7:27 pm

Thank you so much Jenna.

9. annjenny June 20, 2014 @ 3:32 pm (#)

Well done to Derek and I have to say your plot looks lovely!

• Victoria Wildman replied: — June 20th, 2014 @ 3:35 pm

Thank you on both counts Ann. I’ll pass your comment on to Derek!

10. Derek June 20, 2014 @ 7:37 pm (#)

Really appreciate all the thanks it was a great opportunity and a pleasure to be part of event that has a really noble cause. 20,000 bike riders of all ages took part for the British Heart Foundation and I recommend it to anyone who can ride a bike.

11. Honey June 22, 2014 @ 9:10 am (#)

Everything is looking great!  #HDYGG  x

12. Pingback: 59. How Does Your Garden Grow? — Mammasaurus