An Early Summer Salad

Without doubt this has been the best year we’ve ever had for broad beans.  Sown last Autumn the warm Winter and abundance of rain have conspired to give us plants two meters high and more pods than we could have hoped for.  I’m managing to pick most of them at the ideal ‘finger width’ size and as well as having them cooked as a side dish they’re also delicious raw as a snack, sweeter than you could possibly imagine when newly picked. Someone said on twitter this week that they think homegrown potatoes are the crop that is most different to that which you’d buy in a supermarket, well I’d say it’s broad beans.  On the odd occasion that I’ve gone the ‘store bought’ route I’ve found them pretty much inedible. So if that’s your experience then please do try growing some of your own. You won’t be disappointed.

Early Summer Salad

This as with all salads is more of an assembly than a recipe so the quantities are not so specific, you pull it together with what you have to hand in the proportions you like. You’ll notice that I haven’t done the fashionable thing and ‘double podded’ the beans, in the main because they don’t need it and also as I think I’ve said in earlier posts, who has the time.  Enjoy!

Early Summer Salad

Yield: 2

Ingredients:

A couple of handfuls of mixed salad leaves

Some small cooked beetroot -quartered - ours came via the M&S salad section

A small red onion - peeled and finely sliced

A couple of handfuls of podded broad beans

A quarter of a pack of feta cheese

A tablespoon of fresh lemon juice

A tablespoon of olive oil

Salt and pepper

Directions:

Arrange the salad leaves on a serving dish with the beetroot and red onion.

Crumble the feta cheese over the top.

Bring a pan of water to the boil.

In the meantime mix the oil, lemon juice and a bit of salt and pepper in a bowl.

When the water is fully boiling add the broad beans and cook for a minute.

Drain the beans and put them straight in to the oil and lemon.

Mix together and spoon them over the salad leaves along with any remaining dressing.

Serve.

11 Responses to “An Early Summer Salad”

1. annjenny June 11, 2014 @ 12:15 pm (#)

Your salad looks lovely . I’m growing broad beans for the first time this year, but so far the plants are very small. I think i may follow your example and plant them in the autumn next time.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — June 12th, 2014 @ 1:08 pm

Thank you Ann. We’ve never had any success sowing them in Spring so I do thing that Autumn is the right time.

2. Sue garrett June 11, 2014 @ 5:08 pm (#)

Must admit I’ve never eaten bought broad beans so can’t compare but for me it’s carrots.

• Victoria Wildman replied: — June 12th, 2014 @ 1:09 pm

Oh yes, home grown carrots are delicious, i also think sweetcorn is entirely different.

3. Pingback: An Early Summer Salad

4. Mammasaurus June 13, 2014 @ 6:48 am (#)

Oooo a homegrown salad, yum! I’m afraid our peas are getting eaten before they are even fun grown thanks to my daughter Kitty. She hates shop bought peas but loves cracking open the pods in the garden – so for the meantime it’s lettuce sardines galore! Lovely looking recipe x

• Victoria Wildman replied: — June 13th, 2014 @ 6:55 am

Thank you Annie! I think it’s a universal story about children and peas, strawberries and cherry tomatoes are also big favourites, it always good to see them on the plot ‘helping out’.

5. Helen The good life mum July 1, 2014 @ 9:29 pm (#)

i love your salad i really want to grow broad beans but i think if we did Sophie would gobble them all up before they got to the kitchen, i have grown them before and they got black fly any advice ?

• Victoria Wildman replied: — July 1st, 2014 @ 9:47 pm

Sow them in November and protect them with netting until the seedlings are established.  Aquadulce Claudia are the variety to choose. I have plenty if you’d like me to send you some.

6. Helen The good life mum July 1, 2014 @ 9:32 pm (#)

ooh just found you on blog lovin happy days

• Victoria Wildman replied: — July 1st, 2014 @ 9:47 pm

Likewise. Really looking forward to reading.