The Chilli Challenge May Update

I’m well aware that Derek was due to talk irrigation systems in this month’s update but I’m pushing all that aside because the big news is that we have flowers on some of the plants and that’s always going to be more interesting to me as well as making for a prettier photograph.  Suffice to say the irrigation system worked well while we were away on holiday and with the exception of a few leaves being nibbled, by what we’re not sure, we returned to all the plants looking healthy.

Hungarian Hot Wax

The Aji Limon, Ancho, Hot Wax, Cayenne and Kung Po have been potted on again and having outgrown the cold frame are now in trays outside the green house where they seem despite the cooler days this week to be quite happy. Whilst the Jalapeño, Vampire, Torpedo Rosso and Frigatello are still inside.

Hungarian Hot Wax

Did I mention that we had also bought some plants from Victoriana Nursery?  I drove down to Kent a few weeks ago and picked up some replacements for the failed Habañeros, Stephen recommended a variety called Hot Paper Lantern and I also bought a Scotch Bonnet and a Padron.  This brings our total amount of plants up to forty one, plenty I think for all the recipes I talked about back in January.  A bit of sun and we should be well on our way.

Hungarian Hot Wax

If you’d like to add a link to your chilli blog posts in the comments then please do.

10 Responses to “The Chilli Challenge May Update”

1. annjenny May 30, 2014 @ 3:50 pm (#)

Wow 41 plants! They look very healthy, I’m sure you will get a good crop. No c

2. annjenny May 30, 2014 @ 3:52 pm (#)

Oops my comment got chopped off. I was going to say – no chillies here, but I look forward to hearing more about yours.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 30th, 2014 @ 7:42 pm

Thank you Ann, I’m hoping the end result will be worth the effort.

3. Sue@GLAllotments May 30, 2014 @ 7:11 pm (#)

No chillies for us I’m afraid.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 30th, 2014 @ 7:41 pm

Oh Sue, you are kind to comment I know this isn’t your thing.

4. thegardendeli May 30, 2014 @ 9:07 pm (#)

Your chillies look well, and you have flowers already! I sowed my chilli seeds in carefully labelled pots and a couple of days later the propagator was knocked over, scattering compost and seeds. We managed to salvage most of the seed, but now I’m not entirely sure which variety is which… have to wait until they start flowering and producing fruit and then start guessing.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — June 1st, 2014 @ 10:53 am

Eek! Sounds like the basis for a fun party game.

5. crthompson2013 May 31, 2014 @ 1:55 pm (#)

Fantastic healthy plants you’ve got there. Congratulations on your first flowers – you’re way ahead of me.

6. crthompson2013 June 1, 2014 @ 10:49 am (#)

Having said you’re way ahead of me … closer inspection has revealed some teeny tiny flower buds forming – yay! Here’s my update