Olivia Rose Austin

It’s all been about vegetables of late on the blog, the time of year I guess.  To redress the balance I thought I might talk a bit about flowers, especially since I finally made it to the Chelsea Flower Show last Friday. I did go a number of years ago, hated the crowds and left after a couple of hours vowing never to return but I’ve wondered recently if that decision was a bit rash. This generally happens once the event starts by which time of course all tickets are gone, the difference this year is that I had an opportunity to buy a ‘re-sale’ at face value, dear reader it was meant to be.

Olivia Rose Austin

What I can report and of course those who go regularly will already know, is that if you get there at opening time you have a good couple of hours to browse around the show and artisan gardens before it gets busy at which point you can head off to the floral marquee.

On a less successful note my photographs were in the main terrible, a probable combination of poor light and over excitement that even photo shop couldn’t rescue, so just one or two will make it onto these pages. One of these is of Olivia Rose Austin a new variety from David Austin Roses. An English leander hybrid with a ‘fruity fragrance’ it’s named after David’s nineteen year old grand daughter.

Quite a beauty I think.

14 Responses to “Olivia Rose Austin”

1. Julie May 28, 2014 @ 8:03 am (#)

That rose is beautiful, we have been for the last few years but after a long gap, where we went to Hampton Court instead, that is a really lovely day out, starting with the boat which takes you from the car park to the show ground.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 28th, 2014 @ 8:06 am

I really like Hampton Court too and of course there is the added bonus of actually being able to buy the plants. Will have to look up the boat trip it sounds like a wonderful way to arrive.

2. Sue@GLAllotments May 28, 2014 @ 8:20 am (#)

The thought of crowds is one things that puts me off going to Chelsea. That and they way the show gardens mislead with thing flowering together that never would and using plants wrongly llike sambucus nigra as a low growing edging plant.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 28th, 2014 @ 8:30 am

It’s definitely a bit of fantasy Sue but one I’m happy to suspend belief for.

3. Jardin May 28, 2014 @ 10:54 am (#)

I quite agree with you about Chelsea, though I regret not being able to make it this year! The rose (and your photo of it) is beautiful.

4. Love All Blogs / Mammasaurus May 28, 2014 @ 12:19 pm (#)

So beautiful – love roses to bits – and this one is beaut!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 28th, 2014 @ 1:31 pm

I haven’t always been a fan but in the last few years my ideas have changed, this one is good for smaller spaces so will definitely be looking for a spot.

5. sueturner31 May 28, 2014 @ 12:51 pm (#)

Maybe I could squeeze just one more in ….approaching 90 now….not me, the total of roses ….

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 28th, 2014 @ 1:32 pm

Lucky you, would love to see some photos of the varieties you grow.

• sueturner31 replied: — May 28th, 2014 @ 1:54 pm

some of my old posts have pictures, but as they are coming into flower I do try to keep up with them….

6. Joanne May 28, 2014 @ 1:07 pm (#)

The rose is very pretty, the thought of the crows has always put me off visiting Chelsea Flower show, & of course the trek it would take to get there. I suppose as a gardener you would have to visit it at least once.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 28th, 2014 @ 1:34 pm

Crows? Yes, I think it’s worth going if you like flowers a real treat.

7. AllotmentinmyGarden May 28, 2014 @ 8:37 pm (#)

What a beautiful rose, gorgeous colour!