Fledging

I thought I’d be skipping off to the plot first thing this morning but we have torrential rain as I write this so it’s a no go certainly for the first part of the day. Instead a bit of writing and I thought I’d share this picture taken last week of a very brave blue tit attempting it’s first flight.

Blue Tit

We’ve rarely seen them during visits to the plot getting close to the nest only to replenish their food and water for fear of scaring them away so it was quite a surprise that they would fledge whist we were there.  Although this photograph has been cropped it was taken about two metres away.

Perhaps once it’s time to go there’s no holding back.

10 Responses to “Fledging”

1. annjenny May 26, 2014 @ 7:57 am (#)

How wonderful! We have a blackbird nesting in our garden for the first time. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they all fledge successfully. Fortunately, we don’t get many cats in our garden.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 26th, 2014 @ 7:59 am

I’ve been chasing the cats away Ann.

2. Sue@GLAllotments May 26, 2014 @ 8:00 am (#)

A few years ago – one morning I sat up the garden watching the blue tits I set up the video camera and just left it gooung and got quite a lot on film. Some sat a liiked yours and then went back in, others sat in the hole a slithered out and others just shot out like a bullet.

WE have also watched inside the nest with a web can but for the last two years they have avoided the box that has a camera.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 26th, 2014 @ 8:04 am

I can see why this is so fascinating Sue and would love to set up a camera outside the box next year.

3. motcombegardens May 26, 2014 @ 9:27 am (#)

Lovely picture hope they all made it OK

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 26th, 2014 @ 10:30 am

Thank you David. Seemed quite unconcerned by the camera.

4. Joanne May 27, 2014 @ 10:02 am (#)

What a great photo, we have fledglings coming to the bird table but we haven’t had any birds nesting n the garden. The neighbours cats tend to prowl around until I shoo them off, I wish people would put bells on their cats collars.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 28th, 2014 @ 8:07 am

We also have quite a few cats around, always a worry.

5. MargotBarbara May 29, 2014 @ 10:47 am (#)

What a lovely photo, and a great thing to witness. We have lots of blue tits around here, they’re rapidly becoming my favourite bird.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 29th, 2014 @ 12:40 pm

Watching the birds has been an unexpected bonus of this gardening lark.