Saturday Plotlines

It’s been quite a week.  From poolside cocktails on Monday to elbow deep in multi purpose compost today, with a fourteen hour flight and a bit of a cold in between.  A difficult decision to go away at this time of year but a very good offer for somewhere I’d always wanted to travel to made it impossible to turn down. We’d planned the planting around it as carefully as one ever can and our very generous fellow plot holders Nandra and Brian stepped in, checking the plot daily and watering things as needed.

Cold Frame Tomato Plants

I know I’ve said it before but one it’s amazing how much things change in just a few days and this was what we came back to in the cold frame.  Very different to the photographs in the last post.

Cold Frame Sweetcorn

Today has been full on.  After an hour unravelling the climbing beans I’ve planted them out, the same with the pumpkins and three tomato plants, variety ‘yellow pear’,  that I bought a while back from Victoriana Nursery Gardens.  So it’s fleece at the ready should an unexpected frost appear.  This frees up space to pot on the chillies, the rest of the tomato plants and the sweetcorn.

Planting Pumpkins

The one thing that did suffer whilst we were away were the salad crops, every radish, beetroot and lettuce gone. Slugs or mice I’m not sure but in a refusal to be defeated I’ve bought some replacement plants to fill the gap and will sow some more seeds tomorrow.

Plenty to get on with and look forward to.

I hope you’re having a good weekend in the garden too.

V.

17 Responses to “Saturday Plotlines”

1. sueturner31 May 17, 2014 @ 4:14 pm (#)

It’s wonderfully never ending ….love it …..

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 22nd, 2014 @ 6:34 am

It’s felt like it this week Sue. Potting on and then the prospect of planting out next week.

2. Julie May 17, 2014 @ 8:26 pm (#)

Hope you had a wonderful time, and lovely to have such good neighbours to help you out.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 22nd, 2014 @ 6:35 am

Thank you. Yes, everyone is very kind.

3. annjenny May 18, 2014 @ 4:34 pm (#)

Your plot is looking great. Such a busy but exciting time of year with everything bursting into life.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 22nd, 2014 @ 6:36 am

Thank you Ann, it’s all coming together.

4. Urvashi Roe May 18, 2014 @ 9:14 pm (#)

We lost our beets and carrots while sunning it up in Thailand. Long day on the plot today though. Pooped!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 22nd, 2014 @ 6:37 am

We reasoned that we could re sow or worse case buy some plants if we lost any and yes plenty of weeding to be done as well.

• Urvashi Roe replied: — May 22nd, 2014 @ 8:07 am

Yes at least it’s that time of year where things grow quickly!

5. lsproull23 May 19, 2014 @ 2:29 pm (#)

Well, my wife had me working all weekend in the garden, but it was in the 50’s here in Niagara Falls, perfect for working outdoors. But it’s not London, we love London! Wonderful place to visit and explore, will get back there hopefully soon!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 22nd, 2014 @ 6:39 am

Hello, thank you for taking the time to read. Temperatures have been pretty good here too albeit outskirts of London not as glamourous as Niagara Falls!

6. Love All Blogs / Mammasaurus May 21, 2014 @ 6:32 pm (#)

Hope you had a nice time away – we were away this weekend too and came home to find everything had grown so fast!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 22nd, 2014 @ 6:41 am

We did Annie, I loved your yurt photos. D is desperately trying to persuade me to go camping and I think this may well be the compromise.

7. The Rural Gardener May 21, 2014 @ 9:32 pm (#)

Your plants all look so healthy! Well done. Loving the pictures. TRG.

8. MargotBarbara May 29, 2014 @ 10:46 am (#)

Your plot is looking great! It’s amazing how fast everything grows at this time of year, isn’t it.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 29th, 2014 @ 12:39 pm

Thank you, although it’s all slowed down a bit this week with the rain.