Wednesday Plotlines

An alternative title for this post would have been The Coldframe Shuffle.  As fast as things are being potted on they’re expanding to fill their new space, within two or three days roots are emerging from the bottom of pots and leaves are growing big enough to put smaller seedlings in the shade.  The squash have now been moved to the green house and the beans have canes to climb up.  Tomatoes, all forty of them, are starting to look suitably sturdy and the sweetcorn plants are also putting in good growth.

Climbing Bean Mr Fearn

On a slower note the peppers and aubergines having been rehomed from the balmy comfort of the kitchen window sill are in a bit of a sulk.

Tomato Plants

Outside, the beetroot sown via the seed tapes are just coming up, along with the tail end of a packet of radishes I had hanging around, these are planted in one of the raised beds along with some lettuce given to us by fellow plot holder Steve. I’d been looking forward to an early crop but it seems like the mice were equally as excited by the prospect and I think at yesterday’s count there were ten left from thirty or so plants and that’s with a cage to protect them.

Cold Frame

Whilst on the subject of wildlife, there are some blue tits nesting in the new bird box, they’re very timid so we find ourselves talking in hushed tones in a bid not to scare them and I find myself looking forward to observing them over the next few weeks as much as tending the plot.  Perhaps birdwatching will become a new hobby.

Thank you as ever for taking the time to read.

V.

33 Responses to “Wednesday Plotlines”

1. Margaret May 7, 2014 @ 8:59 am (#)

Your plants are all much further on than mine, Victoria, but then here in Lancashire it’s colder and we’re always a few weeks behind. The seeds I sowed early on didn’t germinate well, so I sowed another lot later which are coming along fine now.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 7th, 2014 @ 9:57 am

Some of ours were much quicker than normal but the first lot of sweetcorn wasn’t good so we did a second batch. All in all a bit mixed.

2. Sue@GLAllotments May 7, 2014 @ 10:04 am (#)

We have a couple of boxes with webcams. The first year we installed the first a blue tt occupied it and we watched the chicks develop. Since them they have avoided these boxes in favour of cameraless ones! Maybe we need to have a nestbox shuffle.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 7th, 2014 @ 10:12 am

Ha, we discussed setting up a camera. So perhaps not a good idea.

3. Julie May 7, 2014 @ 12:34 pm (#)

Forty Tomatoes! Your beans are further on than mine and the sweetcorn is yet to be sown! This time of year I could do with several cold frames, but I have nowhere to store them, so there is lots of juggling and falling over stuff. We love Birdwatching, its so relaxing, I am getting (slightly, but not very) better at identifying birdsong.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 7th, 2014 @ 1:41 pm

We didn’t sow our sweetcorn until early May last year and we still had a crop at the end of August so I do think some things just catch up. Was thinking only the other day I should really learn the different bird songs.

4. Joanne May 7, 2014 @ 12:41 pm (#)

I put a box up or rather Mike did for the Blue Tits that visit the feeders in the garden. As far as I can tell they have never used it. Lucky you getting some. Wow you have so many tomato plants, I think I have about 10 in all.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 7th, 2014 @ 1:42 pm

We seem to have the reverse, the feeder remains untouched.

5. annjenny May 7, 2014 @ 1:27 pm (#)

Your plants are looking lovely and healthy and how exciting to have Blue Tits.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 7th, 2014 @ 1:43 pm

Thank you Ann and yes I am very excited, had convinced myself that the position wasn’t correct.

6. lizard100 May 7, 2014 @ 8:03 pm (#)

This is what we’re doing now with the added hazard of protecting them from chickens too!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 8th, 2014 @ 3:39 am

Eek, can imagine they’d make short work of them as well.

7. Mammasaurus May 8, 2014 @ 12:16 pm (#)

They all look so healthy, you obviously have fingers of the purest green 🙂
    We have blue tits nesting in a bird box here too, I keep sneaking peeks at them from afar and chucking porridge oats out for them x

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 9th, 2014 @ 12:52 pm

I wish that were the case, I still make plenty of mistakes.

8. pidger May 8, 2014 @ 2:18 pm (#)

Your plants look so healthy, what potting soil do you use?

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 9th, 2014 @ 12:55 pm

Thank you! I use John Innes; no1 for seedlings mixed in a sixty, forty ratio with vermiculite and then no2 for potting on. As far as the brand is concerned it’s just whatever is available at a good price.

9. pidger May 8, 2014 @ 2:18 pm (#)

Your plants look so healthy, what potting soil do you use?

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 9th, 2014 @ 12:55 pm

10. pidger May 8, 2014 @ 2:18 pm (#)

Your plants look so healthy, what potting soil do you use?

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 9th, 2014 @ 12:55 pm

11. Urvashi Roe May 9, 2014 @ 9:12 pm (#)

Wow! What a bounty you have there

12. Janet/Plantaliscious May 10, 2014 @ 8:38 am (#)

How many tomatoes?! Good grief! They look wonderfully healthy though, mine are a tad leggy, hopefully they will cover. I am in a race to get beans hardened off before they need potting on, though they will need some fleece I think.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 10th, 2014 @ 12:40 pm

Yes, I completely mis timed the beans. There are so many tomatoes because I got a bit carried away with the seed buying on the Pennard Plant’s stall earlier this year.

13. Janet/Plantaliscious May 10, 2014 @ 8:38 am (#)

14. Janet/Plantaliscious May 10, 2014 @ 8:38 am (#)

15. motcombegardens May 10, 2014 @ 11:25 am (#)

Im trying seed tape for the first time this year beetroot carrot and perpetual spinach

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — May 10th, 2014 @ 12:35 pm

I’ve sent some to a friend to try, will be interesting to see how we all get on.