Squash and Beans

It was the big ‘pot on’ this morning at the plot, specifically squash and beans.  I sowed the seeds for both in the first week of April which has proved to be far too early.  In my defence both are new to me.  The beans are Mr Fearn’s Purple Flowered a French climbing variety originating in Ireland and the squash are American Tonda, a small ornamental pumpkin with orange and green stripes.

Mr Fearn's Purple Flowering Climbing French Bean

Pennard Plants French Climbing Beans

I was hopeful that the beans could be planted in one of the raised beds where there is a bit more shelter but after consulting Bob during morning coffee I’ve decided to move them up a pot size and hope that it will be warm enough for them to be outside in a couple of weeks time and knowing how ‘soft’ squash are when it comes to a bit of cold weather we’ll make a hot bed on the the new plot if necessary.

Pumpkin Americana Tonda

Mr Fearn's Purple Flowered Climbing French Bean & Pumpkin Americana Tonda

Both cold frames are now full as a result of my eagernesss and the daily study of the long range weather forecast begins.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

V.

Mr Fearn’s Purple Flowered came from Pennard Plants  they’re not showing on their website at the moment but they do have lots of other interesting varieties.

The American Tonda are from Franchi seeds and the details here.

6 Responses to “Squash and Beans”

1. Mammasaurus April 28, 2014 @ 6:30 am (#)

This might sound a bit weird but I really love seed packet covers, there’s some really lovely and interesting ones out there. I might have to start a collection!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 28th, 2014 @ 9:02 am

I’m a sucker for it too. The Pennard packets are charming and everyone different.

2. Sue@GLAllotments April 28, 2014 @ 8:39 am (#)

It’s always tempting to start sowing early but we have always tried to resist the temptation – hard though that is when everyone else seems to be on a sowing frenzy.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 28th, 2014 @ 9:01 am

I think that’s what happen to us Sue and also our germination rate for beans has been so slow in the past. This variety is very speedy.

3. annjenny April 28, 2014 @ 4:46 pm (#)

I made the same mistake with my climbing French beans! They germinated and grew so quickly that they got too leggy and intertwined. I’m not sure whether they will be alright, so I have sown some more as reserves. The weather is still a bit ‘iffy’ and the forecast says turning colder at the end of the week. Oh well!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 30th, 2014 @ 4:47 am

Beans have always been slow for us too Ann and not very reliable either.