Seed Tapes

Did I tell you that after writing this post about our many packets of seeds we found another bagful?  Well we did, actually I knew that I’d lost them but because we were hardly running short of things to sow it had gone to the back of my mind. Anyway, as normally happens, Derek found them when looking through cupboards for something else we’d mislaid.

Suttons Seed Tapes

Amongst them are were some ‘seed tapes’ and ‘seed mats’ where the seeds are sandwiched between two layers of tissue at regular intervals.  When I first saw these a couple of years ago I’d discounted them as being an expensive way to buy and couldn’t really see the point either, however one of our local garden centres reduces its seeds to fifty pence a packet at the end of August every year so we buy a load for the following season. On that basis I thought they’d be worth a try.

So after all this ado I’ve planted some of the beetroot ‘Boltardy’ this morning and the upshot is, they were so simple to use that I think I might be a convert even at full price.

Suttons Seed Tapes

The information on the packet says they’re good if you have difficulty handling small seeds but I also think they’d be really good for someone new to growing vegetables because you don’t have to think about spacing and thinning out is minimal, they’d also work well for children because they are so easy to handle.

Of course ultimately it’s the crop that’s important so watch this space and if you’ve used them It’d be great to know your thoughts.

Mine are from Suttons and the link is here and I’ve also found a company called Simple Sowing and the link to their site is here.

19 Responses to “Seed Tapes”

1. lottielandgirl April 15, 2014 @ 3:32 pm (#)

Oh this is interesting, time saving and you can get them evenly spaced! I’m a bit on the clumsy side when it come to sowing! I throw them in and hope for the best 🙂 Are the much more money than just buying regular seeds? I’ll try and get them in the sale like you 🙂

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 15th, 2014 @ 3:42 pm

They’re £2.99 I think. I can send you some if you want to try them.

2. lottielandgirl April 15, 2014 @ 3:45 pm (#)

Thanks Victoria that’s great! Only if you can spare them though 🙂 (I’ll send you my address…)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 15th, 2014 @ 4:12 pm

They’re at the plot so I’ll send some of each in the next couple of days.

• lottielandgirl replied: — April 15th, 2014 @ 4:27 pm

Brilliant thanks so much for that I’ve sent you my address via twitter 🙂

3. AllotmentinmyGarden April 15, 2014 @ 5:41 pm (#)

I tried a ‘seed mat’ a few years ago as one of my first forays into growing, but found it a bit crowded in some places and patchy in others. Haven’t seen the seed tapes before, will be interested to hear how you get on with them.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 16th, 2014 @ 12:15 pm

These look evenly spaced, beetroot seeds are about 5cm apart so I’ll still have to thin. Will be doing the lettuce tomorrow.

4. Jenni Collis April 15, 2014 @ 6:25 pm (#)

I’d love to try this as I’m a newcomer to planting and need all the help I can get. Sounds great! A must try when the sales are on. Thank you.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 16th, 2014 @ 12:16 pm

Jenni I can send you a strip of the lettuce and beetroot if you want to try them out.

5. Joanne April 15, 2014 @ 6:49 pm (#)

I wish my local reduced seeds to 50p, I thought the £1 they reduced them to was good. Seed tapes are a great idea I have used them in the past. The tape was ideal to snip for the required length.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 16th, 2014 @ 12:18 pm

Joanne, it’s the Garden Centre Group so I don’t know if there’s one near you. If they do it this year I’ll be sure to post on here.

6. Sue@GLAllotments April 16, 2014 @ 7:37 am (#)

It will be interesting to see how they do.

7. home, garden, life April 16, 2014 @ 12:30 pm (#)

Seed tape rocks!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 16th, 2014 @ 12:35 pm

What have you grown with it? Just had a comment on Facebook that it’s terrible.

• home, garden, life replied: — April 16th, 2014 @ 12:41 pm

Never used it, yet every time I waste seed (overseed) with loose seed, I think, “where is the seed tape?”

8. Backlane Notebook April 18, 2014 @ 2:27 pm (#)

I’ve used them for the first time this year and the spinach seeds are through the soil and in neat rows – the carrots are yet to emerge. I had a bit of a problem getting the soil prepared to a fine tilth- it remained a bit lumpy which inhibits laying the tape across in neat rows. But I guess with sensible soil preparation it would be easy and I like the idea of no thinning.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 19th, 2014 @ 6:50 am

Thank you for following the blog. Will be interested to see how you get on with the tapes. Perhaps we can compare notes in a few weeks time.