The Bee Project

One of my favourite gardens in the area, Chenies Manor, is hosting a series of coffee mornings over the next few months as part of a UK campaign to save our bees and yesterday morning was their first event. As anyone who regularly reads will know I am rather partial to coffee and cake, especially the cake and if it comes with a good cause thrown in then so much the better so I think it’s worth giving this shout out. Borage

The aim is to actively raise funds towards research into the problems concerning our declining bee populations, improve habitat conservation and raise public understanding by assisting two major bee charities, the British Beekeepers Association (BBKA) and The Bumblebee Conservation Trust (BBCT).

Borage

We were treated to a presentation by Jane Moseley the General Secretary & Operations Director of BBKA, focusing on climate change and how it is affecting our bee population, she also gave us plenty of practical information about different types of bees and what we can do to preserve their habitat both through the plants we select for our growing spaces and the space we create for them to live in. You might be cheered to know that we should tidy up a bit less!

The morning also included a guided tour of the Physic Garden, a raffle and an opportunity to walk around the formal gardens of the house.

The dates for the Chenies events are:

29th July

2nd September

7th October

They start at 10.30am and tickets, which must be booked in advance, are £7.00. You can do this by contacting Christine Secoy her details are here.

Alternatively you can host your own event and these charities will help you to find a speaker. Again the details are here.

7 Responses to “The Bee Project”

1. Julie April 9, 2014 @ 10:30 am (#)

Great post and excellent project, I haven’t been to Chenies manor but would like to, I like the tidy up less advice too. 🙂

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 9th, 2014 @ 6:32 pm

If you can’t get along for the coffee mornings I really recommend the plant fair in July it’s a great day out. Also I think they’re hosting Antiques Roadshow later this year.

2. Agents of Field April 9, 2014 @ 2:59 pm (#)

Would really love to visit Chenies – it’s not far from us at all, and this is a campaign that’s very close to our hearts – we love the bees and do whatever we can for them! Thanks so much for the info . AoF

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 9th, 2014 @ 6:30 pm

It was really thought provoking, i’d thought a lot about planting but not so much about creating a habitat. Will be mending my ways.

3. annjenny April 10, 2014 @ 4:00 pm (#)

Coffee, cake and a talk on bees sounds like a wonderful way to spend a morning. I’m hoping the lavender plants and other flowers I have on the allotment will help the bees, even if it’s only in a small way.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 10th, 2014 @ 8:05 pm

If everyone does a little bit it’ll make a big difference I think.

4. Anna April 10, 2014 @ 9:26 pm (#)

Sounds like a most worthwhile and enjoyable event. Anything that involves less tidying up sounds a good idea 🙂 We are fortunate to have bee hives at the allotment.