Tomatoes

Just back from the plot and I’ve spent the morning sowing tomato seeds. Not having had much success growing salad varieties on the plot for the last three years we’ve stuck to San Marzano an Italian plum tomato used cooking that for us is tried and tested.  There were no plans to do any different, especially since  I’d sworn off buying any more seeds, until I was led well and truly astray by the Pennard Plants display at the RHS London Plant & Design Show.

Tomato San Marzano

So this is what I’ve ended up with;

Accordian Pink Ruffled – Heirloom variety, hallow pink ruffled fruit.

Beefsteak Marmande Super – French heirloom variety from Provence, large cushion shaped fruit.

Black Russian – Russian heirloom variety with deep purple skinned fruit and dark red flesh.

Green Zebra – American variety medium sized striped green fruit.

Plum Lemon Wonderlite – Russian heirloom variety, plum shaped with mild sweet flavour.

San Marzano Red Plum – Classic Italian plum variety used for cooking.

I’ve used 5cm pots and sown three pots of each variety in seed compost and vermiculite at a ratio of 60:40. There are three seeds in each pot, so potentially fifty four plants.  I probably need half that ammount so some will be thinned out and the rest will go into the annual plant swap that Bob organises in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support.

Taking inspiration from Sue at Our Plot At Green Lane Allotments I’ve decided to try and keep proper planting records for everything this year and some of these pages will be filed under the Grow tab above.  It’ll be useful for me next year when I’m struggling to remember what we did in detail and hopefully if anyone else is growing the same varieties it’ll be interesting as a point of comparison.

12 Responses to “Tomatoes”

1. Sue@GLAllotments April 5, 2014 @ 4:31 pm (#)

Some new varieties to me there.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 5th, 2014 @ 4:36 pm

And me. The taste notes on the seed packets are interesting as well.

2. thegardendeli April 5, 2014 @ 5:38 pm (#)

It can be a dangerous business visiting plant fairs, too many goodies that are so hard to resist! I’ll be interested to hear how you get on with your tomatoes. San Marzano has never done that well for me so I gave up on it, but I’m giving Green Zebra a try this year.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 5th, 2014 @ 8:45 pm

Isn’t strange, San Marzano have been the most reliable here. Which other varieties are you growing?

• thegardendeli replied: — April 6th, 2014 @ 8:52 am

It could be down to me being a bit rubbish at growing tomatoes, rather than San Marzano not being any good! This year I’m growing Amish Salad, Moneymaker (free packet of seeds), Black Cherry, Tiny Tim, Grushovka and Polish Oxheart. The last two are new to try this year, but with the house on the market the poor seedlings have been shoved out in a cold greenhouse whenever we have a viewing, so their not looking to happy…

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 6th, 2014 @ 10:26 am

Some of those are new to me I’ll have to get on google the Polish Oxheart sounds interesting.

3. Julie April 5, 2014 @ 9:45 pm (#)

Do you grow all of your tomatoes in a polytunnel or are some of them on your plot, I hear good reports about Black Russian, but haven’t tried it yet myself. I visited the show too, this week and was restrained only buying Yellow Rattle seeds from Beans and Herbs.

4. Joanne April 6, 2014 @ 8:41 am (#)

A lovely selection you are growing this year. I was trying to limit my tomato plants this year but extra seeds crept up on me too.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 6th, 2014 @ 10:25 am

I didn’t appreciate how many varieties there are, good to know I’m not the only one who can’t resist.

5. AllotmentinmyGarden April 6, 2014 @ 9:31 am (#)

I wish I’d been a bit more adventurous with my tomato varieties now, these sound really interesting! Looking forward to seeing how they progress over the summer.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 6th, 2014 @ 10:28 am

Me too, suspect I’ll have to pay close attention to make them work.

6. annjenny April 6, 2014 @ 11:56 am (#)

What a lovely selection! I look forward to hearing how you get on. I’ve heard that San Marzano are a particularly good plum tomato for cooking.