Early Rhubarb Jam

Saharan dust clouds aside we’re in the midst of perfect spring days here in London.  Heavy dew and light mists of the early morning giving way to sunny skies and the lightest of breezes. I must admit to having gone a bit Fotherington-Thomas yesterday, skipping around the plot photographing pear blossom and recording the birdsong.  It’s the perfect gardening weather. I should tell you that I’m only able to indulge in this because I’ve got Derek doing the digging and he’ll be handing the spade back next week when he returns to work.

Rhubarb Jam

I’ve have also finally got enough forced rhubarb to make jam. This has felt like months in the planning but the variety is Victoria which normally  arrives late in the season so no surprise. Anyway I’ve now picked two and half kilos and made two batches.  The recipe I followed was from The River Cottage Preserves Handbook by Pam Corbin. Roughly speaking it’s one kilo of rhubarb trimmed, chopped and layered up with jam sugar overnight. Heated gently until the sugar melts and then boiled for five or so minutes and poured into sterilised jars.

Rhubarb Jam

The full recipe is here and I can report that it’s straightforward, works and most importantly tastes delicious. I went for the stem ginger option. The other nice thing about using forced fruit with this is that the colour, a deep rosy pink, is beautiful. I’m now on the look out for a new preserving project and am thinking vegetables so if you’ve any thoughts let me know.

17 Responses to “Early Rhubarb Jam”

1. Sam Butler April 2, 2014 @ 11:10 am (#)

I haven’t tried these yet, but they are on my list.http://gardentherapy.ca/pickled-radishes/

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 2nd, 2014 @ 10:09 pm

Hi Sam, I really love this idea. My radishes have been a bit of a fail for the last couple of years but I’m still going to have a go at this.

2. thegardendeli April 2, 2014 @ 11:50 am (#)

You have pear blossom already? The trees here are barely waking up. The jam looks delicious, such a great colour too. Have you seen this article with recipes for vegetable jams – http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/sep/02/vegetable-jam-recipes-hugh-fearnley-whittingstall. I think I might be trying all of them this year!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 2nd, 2014 @ 10:12 pm

This was taken on the new plot, hoping that there are enough bees around. Tomato and chilli is definitely on.

3. hollymayroberts April 2, 2014 @ 4:06 pm (#)

Reblogged this on Ramblings of Holly May and commented:
    Yummy….I will definitely try this!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 2nd, 2014 @ 10:14 pm

Thank you, it’s a top recipe from Pam. Would love to see some pictures.

4. annjenny April 3, 2014 @ 12:18 pm (#)

Your jam looks delicious. We’ve only a small amount of forced rhubarb chez fenland lottie, but I will be keeping this recipe in mind for next year. I already have the River Cottage book 🙂

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 3rd, 2014 @ 7:17 pm

Thank you Ann. It’s a really great book I think.

5. David Ford April 3, 2014 @ 2:23 pm (#)

We visited our local farm tea shop the other day for a lovely rhubarb and ginger scone with rhubarb jam and clotted cream as a treat for me I have to say looking at your picture had me salivating all over again at the thought

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 3rd, 2014 @ 7:19 pm

Thank you David and thank you for the facebook ‘like’. By the way I tried to leave a comment on your blog yesterday and couldn’t, it seems only to allow google users, is that right?
      Re

• David Ford replied: — April 3rd, 2014 @ 8:33 pm

I have just changed it to anybody but with comment moderation Victoria PS what camera are you using now

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 3rd, 2014 @ 8:46 pm

Thank you David. Ashamed to say I’m still using my phone! Have to shape up in next few weeks though as am going on a photography course.

6. The Garden Smallholder April 6, 2014 @ 8:14 am (#)

Superb colour on your jam, I’m going to make some next year when I force my allotment rhubarb. I have the book and make blackcurrant and strawberry jams using Pam’s methods with great success.

Karen

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — April 6th, 2014 @ 10:24 am

Thank you. Am very keen to make blackcurrant as mum always did. Can’t wait to get the bushes planted.

7. home, garden, life April 6, 2014 @ 4:28 pm (#)

Oh, YUM! My mouth is watering!

8. alderandash May 13, 2014 @ 9:11 am (#)

Looks delicious…I may give this a go, as the rhubarb has gone mad this year! For later in the year, I can thoroughly recommend Hugh F-W’s Glutney Chutney recipe. You can bung in anything you have a glut of; I’ve made it with marrows, squash, green tomatoes – whatever is cluttering up the plot late in the season – and it always seems to work!

• alderandash replied: — May 13th, 2014 @ 9:12 am

Oh, and sorry if you know this one already – I came across the recipe on the web, it may even have been here!! 🙂