Fruity Rock Cakes

So although these didn’t make it to the Eastcote Horticultural Show last Saturday I thought I’d give them their moment in the limelight on the blog instead.  They are the quickest way by far to sate the craving for a bit of fruit cake.  As well as being speedy to make, you can be enjoying one with a cup of tea ten minutes after removing them from the oven, a winner if like me you’re a bit impatient.

Fruity Rock Buns

Fruity Rock Cakes

Yield: 10 buns

Ingredients:

225 grams self raising flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
100 grams cold butter diced
50 grams white granulated sugar
2 medium eggs
50 grams currants
50 grams sultanas
50 grams raisins
50 gms mixed peel
2 or 3 tablespoons of milk
A little Demerara sugar to scatter on top

Directions:

Pre heat the oven to 200˚C and lightly oil two baking sheets.
Rub the butter into the flour and baking powder until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Add the granulated sugar, fruit and peel.  Mix together.
Beat the eggs lightly with two tablespoons of the milk and stir in to the flour mixture.  It should come together but hold its shape.
Add another tablespoon of milk if necessary.
Spoon the mixture on to the baking trays, scatter each bun with a little Demerara sugar and bake for twelve to fifteen minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a couple of minutes before putting onto a cooling rack.
Makes ten buns, nicest eaten the day you make them.

12 Responses to “Fruity Rock Cakes”

1. Sue@GLAllotments March 21, 2014 @ 11:07 am (#)

Looks lovely an edible menhir?

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 21st, 2014 @ 4:49 pm

Of course Sue I’d like to tell you that that was the intention, but I’d missed it completely! As usual you’re much sharper than me.

2. Margaret March 21, 2014 @ 11:18 am (#)

Those look delicious. It’s a long time since I made rock buns, I’ll have to make some soon

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 21st, 2014 @ 4:50 pm

Thank you Margaret. I know you like to take a bit of cake to the plot.

3. annjenny March 21, 2014 @ 1:15 pm (#)

I haven’t made rock buns for ages. These look so delicious, I think I will have to remedy that!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 21st, 2014 @ 4:52 pm

Thank you Ann. Derek loves fruit cake and they are so quick to do and no lining of tins which is my least favourite bit of making a cake.

4. battenburgbelle March 22, 2014 @ 6:10 pm (#)

Mmmm they look good!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 22nd, 2014 @ 7:56 pm

Thank you! Your week looks amazing, looking forward to catching up.

5. David Ford March 23, 2014 @ 11:47 am (#)

it`s a bit unfair posting a picture of three delicious buns as a diabetic I am only allowed one, very nice photo by the way balancing them all could`t have been easy

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 26th, 2014 @ 5:14 pm

Thank you David. I wasn’t sure how to photograph them and do wonder if the shot should have had a bit more colour in it. I still have a lot of learning to do!

6. Jenny Hammerton March 26, 2014 @ 6:55 am (#)

Ooh, these look nice and I agree with you about lining cake tins. One of those things like repairing dress hems that seems tiresome out of all proportion to the task…

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 26th, 2014 @ 5:16 pm

Hi Jenny, thank you for taking the time to read the post. Ha, yes, you’re completely right re the sewing.