Monday Plotlines

A bit of a strange weekend really, full of sunshine but very little time spent at the plot and although I’d practised my rock buns like a demon, I failed to enter them into the show because I was completely side tracked by an article in The Telegraph about one of my favourite food and lifestyle blogs Things We Make, thank you Emma Bond for the link, and a recipe called ‘All Day Pork’, which is exactly what it says. One quick trip to the butchers round the corner and it was in the oven by 10.00am, but my deadline for show entry was missed. All the more for Derek to eat though, so he was happy.

Hellebores

Spring Flowers

I did visit the show in the afternoon and it’s really delightful to see all the spring flowers on show, especially the daffodils, the perfume is really heady when you walk into the hall especially when combined with the hyacinths. On to the allotment straight after and there was plenty of hard work in evidence with plenty of plot holders making the most of the good weather. When the digging paused most of the talk was centred around the best time to plant potatoes. The general thought is to wait another couple of weeks. The ground has dried out very quickly on the surface but a couple of inches down and we’re back to good old, very claggy, London clay.

Shrub EHS Spring Show

Spring Flower EHS Spring Show

Back to the plot today and the first of the chillies are now in the cold frame along with some pots of herbs, freeing up one of the propagators for the next batch of seed sowing. The broad beans are doing well, we’ve only lost two or three plants, the next job will be to remove the netting and give them some support from the easterly wind that whips across the site.  The garlic also seems to have come through the wet weather unscathed, though it’s interesting to see the difference in the growth rates between the varieties which is now clearly marked with the Lautrec racing ahead of the Chesnook and Eden Rose.  I’m also hoping that I’ll have a full crop of forced rhubarb this time next week in which case it’ll be jam making ahoy!

EHS Spring Show

The photographs in this post were taken at the show.

I hope you all had a good weekend’s gardening too, perhaps you like to let me know in the comments.

30 Responses to “Monday Plotlines”

1. Margaret March 17, 2014 @ 12:42 pm (#)

Lovely pics. I love the hellebores. We grow our potatoes in containers, but still haven’t planted them. Will probably do in the next couple of weeks

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 17th, 2014 @ 3:19 pm

Thank you Margaret. Mine are slow to chit so think it’ll be another couple of weeks for us too.

2. Margaret March 17, 2014 @ 12:42 pm (#)

3. Margaret March 17, 2014 @ 12:42 pm (#)

4. Sue@GLAllotments March 17, 2014 @ 3:00 pm (#)

No plotting here this weekend – gale force wind which didn’t feature on any weather forecasts!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 17th, 2014 @ 3:20 pm

Gosh Sue, and there I was thinking that everyone had good weather this weekend.

5. battenburgbelle March 17, 2014 @ 10:12 pm (#)

Gorgeous photos! Getting very excited about the Muswell Hill Horticultural Show in a couple of weeks, although I’ll be entering baking rather than anything I’ve grown myself…

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 18th, 2014 @ 8:40 am

Take some photos. Would love to see. There was hardly any ‘home grown’ at this show, it was all about the flowers.

Hope you’re enjoying Bertinet!

6. battenburgbelle March 17, 2014 @ 10:12 pm (#)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 18th, 2014 @ 8:40 am

Hope you’re enjoying Bertinet!

7. Anna March 18, 2014 @ 8:02 am (#)

I read that recipe too and thought it sounded rather yummy. Beautiful flowers on display – love the spotty dotty hellebore. Discussion on our allotment site touched planting potatoes too and the consensus was it was too early. One plot holder has planted a few first earlies though so it will be interesting to see what transpires 🙂

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 18th, 2014 @ 8:38 am

It’s a really good recipe, in the oven and forget about it. We served it with lots crunchy salad and wholemeal wraps.

I’ve just looked at hellebore photos again and unfortunately there’s no variety detailed on the card. It was entered by Eastcote House Gardens which is just around the corner so I’ll try and find out.

8. Anna March 18, 2014 @ 8:02 am (#)

9. AllotmentinmyGarden March 18, 2014 @ 11:52 am (#)

The flowers are glorious, especially the hellebores.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 18th, 2014 @ 5:25 pm

It’s all about the flowers in the spring show and yes they were. I’ll try and get a gallery up in the next week or so.

10. AllotmentinmyGarden March 18, 2014 @ 11:52 am (#)

The flowers are glorious, especially the hellebores.

11. AllotmentinmyGarden March 18, 2014 @ 11:52 am (#)

The flowers are glorious, especially the hellebores.

12. annjenny March 18, 2014 @ 2:25 pm (#)

Lovely photos! We emptied out the compost bin this weekend and mulched the strawberry beds and rhubarb etc. We have charlotte potatoes which are chitting, but are hanging before we plant them.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 18th, 2014 @ 5:23 pm

Thank you Ann. Have tidied but not mulched, I’ll add that to the list!

13. annjenny March 18, 2014 @ 2:25 pm (#)

14. annjenny March 18, 2014 @ 2:25 pm (#)

15. home, garden, life March 25, 2014 @ 5:37 pm (#)

I have many hellebores blooming now, and it never occured me to cut them…perhaps with this persistent snowfall, I should consider bringing some indoors…where these floating in a bowl of water?

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 25th, 2014 @ 5:44 pm

Yes they were. I think the display criteria are fairly set for the shows but I have seen hellebores as cut flowers in small vases and they do look beautiful.

16. home, garden, life March 25, 2014 @ 5:37 pm (#)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 25th, 2014 @ 5:44 pm

17. home, garden, life March 25, 2014 @ 5:37 pm (#)