Caramelised Shallots

This is inspired by my chum Catherine and a conversation we had last week about Julia Child’s recipe for coq au vin in which she cooks the shallots separately and then adds them to the rest of the ingredients. Whilst cooking the dish, Catharine’s conclusion was that they were good enough to eat on their own. Since I find it nigh on impossible to follow a recipe to the letter unless it’s crucial to do so, I’ve adapted the flavours to give a sweet and sour note and have indeed served them as a side dish.

Caramelised Shallots

Ingredients

450 gms shallots peeled
100 mls dry white wine
100 mls vegetable or chicken stock
a teaspoonful of honey
some butter – I used a big desert spoonful
some fresh thyme
ground black pepper

Caramelised Shallots

Method

Melt the butter in a small frying pan and add the shallots cook slowly until browned.

Add the stock, wine , thyme and some ground pepper.

Simmer gently.

When nearly soft add the honey and continue cooking until the liquid is syrupy and the shallots are tender.

Good with roast chicken or perhaps some sausages.

10 Responses to “Caramelised Shallots”

1. Urvashi Roe March 7, 2014 @ 3:54 pm (#)

I think I would have these on toast They look so luscious and I can almost smell them! I am growing shallots this year and can’t wait to pull them up. I love them in slices caramelised over smoked aubergine and tahini dip. Yummm.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 8th, 2014 @ 7:12 am

I’d like that too. Smoked aubergine sounds wonderful.

2. Joanne March 7, 2014 @ 4:22 pm (#)

Yum, they look wonderful. I think I might plant some more shallots to make sure I have enough!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 8th, 2014 @ 7:17 am

We didn’t grow a big crop of them last year but like to put a few in because they’re the first thing I ever grew.

3. annjenny March 7, 2014 @ 5:46 pm (#)

These look really delicious. I think I will have to give them a try.

4. Sue at GLAllotments March 7, 2014 @ 9:00 pm (#)

We will have to use up lots of small onions and shallots soon before they start growing

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 8th, 2014 @ 7:15 am

I was reading this week that now it’s the ‘hungry gap’ that onions were all that most growers would have left. Need lot’s of patience to peel those small ones though.

5. battenburgbelle March 8, 2014 @ 9:37 am (#)

They look great – and the patience (and some tears) are soon forgotten!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 8th, 2014 @ 4:55 pm

Thank you for the comment and the inspiration!