Daffodils

A sunny flower for a gloriously sunny day, the daffodil epitomises spring.  These photographs were taken at home on Sunday and as with the wild garlic it’s early for them to be in full flower.DaffodilI don’t know the variety and given that there are over 27,000 different cultivars it would be foolhardy to try and guess, although I did have a brief flight of fancy, given it was the Oscars earlier this week, wondering if they could be Spencer Tracy or perhaps Scarlet O’Hara.  I can report of course that those varieties look entirely different to these.

Daffodil

Daffodil

Anyway, they are nonetheless lovely even if they are unknown and let’s hope that it’s a sign that Spring really is on its way.

19 Responses to “Daffodils”

1. Joanne March 5, 2014 @ 12:36 pm (#)

Such happy looking flowers, Mine are still in bud, possibly as I keep on glaring at them willing to open. I plan on buying a mixture of bulbs to plant later on in the year for a longer flowering period next. And some for picking too.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 5th, 2014 @ 6:26 pm

Casting around on the internet flowering varies from the end of February to mid April dependant on variety. I alway think I might pick some and then prefer to leave them in situ.

2. Joanne March 5, 2014 @ 12:36 pm (#)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 5th, 2014 @ 6:26 pm

3. Joanne March 5, 2014 @ 12:36 pm (#)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 5th, 2014 @ 6:26 pm

4. annjenny March 5, 2014 @ 1:40 pm (#)

I love daffodils too. Such a sunny colour and definitely a sign that spring is on its way!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 5th, 2014 @ 6:24 pm

And it’s felt like it today Ann.

5. Sue@GLAllotments March 5, 2014 @ 5:19 pm (#)

No large daffodils flowering here but the minis are lovely.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 5th, 2014 @ 6:23 pm

I’m very fond of the minis too Sue.

6. home, garden, life March 5, 2014 @ 9:13 pm (#)

Wow! You are weeks ahead of my garden/daffodils! If the snow would stop, perhaps the jewels would emerge!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 7th, 2014 @ 6:14 am

Is that normal Diane or is it the very cold winter you’ve had this year?

• home, garden, life replied: — March 7th, 2014 @ 12:39 pm

Usually my Tete a Tete are up and blooming by now, yet they are only peeps out of their mulch today. Others come later, yet cold must be culprit!
        Happy Spring!

7. thegardendeli March 6, 2014 @ 10:18 pm (#)

Lovely photos1 I only have a few clumps of daffodils in the garden, and they’re still just at the small bud stage. But each spring hundreds of daffodils flower on the grass banks around the city walls in York – it’s one of the best seasonal sights in the city!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 7th, 2014 @ 6:11 am

I didn’t appreciate that you’re in Yorkshire it’s where my family are from. I’d love to see some pictures of the daffodils when they bloom.

8. thegardendeli March 6, 2014 @ 10:18 pm (#)

9. thegardendeli March 6, 2014 @ 10:18 pm (#)