Wild Garlic

There was talk on twitter last week of wild garlic, also known as ramps or ransoms. Too early perhaps?  Well not really, because despite all the ‘weather’ the temperature has been very mild and pretty much everything is a bit ahead of time.  Don’t know where to find something locally? Ask a dog walker.  Our friend Barbara said we’d find some in Highgrove Woods and she wasn’t wrong.

Wild Galic

I was expecting to spend hours hunting it down in true foraging style, but the ground was awash with fresh, bright green, elliptic leaves and that unmistakable aroma, albeit far milder than conventional garlic.  It is the leaves that are edible and the recommendation is to cut rather than pull them to avoid disturbing the plant too much. Use as you would chives or spring onions.

It will of course look far prettier once in flower with it’s tall stems and white umbrels, but the flavour is milder when it’s young. Take your pick.

8 Responses to “Wild Garlic”

1. Joanne March 3, 2014 @ 1:39 pm (#)

I will have to get out & find some. I like it made into a type of pesto & spread on nice bread toasted. I’m planning to plant some by my hedge. Lazy person that I am!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 3rd, 2014 @ 1:43 pm

I’ve read that it’s very good in pesto. We had it added to a frittata for dinner last night but I think I could have used more of it. Planting by the hedge sounds like a great idea.

2. Sue@GLAllotments March 3, 2014 @ 4:28 pm (#)

Just a bit worried about where the dog ‘went’ when the walker spotted the garlic!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 3rd, 2014 @ 4:45 pm

You and Derek are of the same mind! I picked it well away from the path and any trees and of course washed it well.

3. Julie March 3, 2014 @ 5:37 pm (#)

I have just read Sue’s comment above and that made me laugh, I wonder that too!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 3rd, 2014 @ 6:34 pm

Stop it you two you’re giving me the heebie jeebies. Can’t be worse than slugs and foxes can it?

4. Margaret March 4, 2014 @ 10:18 am (#)

We visited an NGS garden last year which had loads of wild garlic growing in it. We asked very nicely and they dug up a clump for us to take home. I planted it in our woodland garden. I have been looking carefully nearly everyday recently for signs of it coming through. I do hope it will grow in our garden. I have never thought to use it for cooking, I just love the flowers.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 7th, 2014 @ 6:00 am

it should do well, I read that it’s quite invasive but needs to be undisturbed.