How To Find An Allotment Plot

Having an allotment is a joyous experience for many reasons. The fresh air, the social life, the birdsong in spring and hopefully with a little bit of effort armfuls of gorgeous fresh fruit and vegetables.

Southbourne Gardens

In retrospect, although I looked at a lot of the locations listed in Hillingdon before eventually choosing Southbourne Gardens, it really was more luck than judgement that we found such a good site and subsequently the right plot.  I’m not sure after the long time we had to wait for it coupled with my inexperience that I wouldn’t have grabbed the first thing offered. I realise now that we really fell on our feet.

We were given the choice of two plots and in my keenness to get started I chose the one that I thought needed the least amount of work, of course that’s a big consideration, but by no means the only one.  I’ve thought about this a lot in the years since, especially when we now look at the other plot which is covered in mare’s tail. So I’ve put together some guides around the practicalities of finding a plot for anyone wanting to take an allotment on.

Your Perfect Plot

How To Start

Finding A Site

Choosing The Plot

Getting Involved

I hope you have time to browse through them and if you already have a plot can share your own experiences in the comments.

21 Responses to “How To Find An Allotment Plot”

1. Sue@GLAllotments February 28, 2014 @ 12:46 pm (#)

All our plots were over head high in perennial weeds so were hard work to get started. It did imply that they would be fertile though.

I wish we could keep our gates locked. All the trouble started on our plot because a handful of people just would’t lock gates.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 2nd, 2014 @ 4:32 pm

Ha, yes I guess so. We’re a well behaved lot and the gate is always kept locked even if there’s lots of us around.

2. Sue@GLAllotments February 28, 2014 @ 12:46 pm (#)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 2nd, 2014 @ 4:32 pm

3. Joanne February 28, 2014 @ 2:12 pm (#)

I had my name down for an allotment a couple of years back, in the end I declined as it wasn’t going to be near enough. If they ever did build?? an allotment close enough for me to walk I would consider a small one.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 2nd, 2014 @ 4:35 pm

Ours is about five minutes away, so great if there’s only an hours to spare or in the summer when I need to go a couple of times everyday.

4. annjenny February 28, 2014 @ 4:39 pm (#)

Our allotment is a half plot which we find is just the right size to enable us to keep on top of it. It had also been rotavated prior to us taking it over which was a big help. Each plot is fenced off from the neighbours, but it is still a very sociable place and -big plus – last year a composting toilet was added! The only slight drawback is that it is the only site in our small market town and for us is not within easy walking distance. So more often than not we have to use the car or in the summer a bike. It’s all great fun though!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 2nd, 2014 @ 4:37 pm

Ann, I always drive even though it’s close, the excuse is I’ll get enough exercise once I’m there. Ours is also a half plot which in the main works well for what we need.

5. annjenny February 28, 2014 @ 4:39 pm (#)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 2nd, 2014 @ 4:37 pm

6. annjenny February 28, 2014 @ 4:39 pm (#)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 2nd, 2014 @ 4:37 pm

7. sueturner31 February 28, 2014 @ 4:47 pm (#)

We have had our allotment since 1999, initially I had it on my own. But my husband was offered early retirement at 53 and jumped at the chance. I say ‘but’ as he had no hobbies or interests other than work. So gradually I sneaked the allotment on to him. Now I only go to have a look maybe 2 or 3 times a year, I have my garden which we open most years for cancer research, so all has worked well in the end. I don’t know what I would have done without the allotment. The fresh air and exercise has kept us both sane. My daughter and hubby have now got the allotment bug, it’s fantastic.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 2nd, 2014 @ 4:38 pm

Same here Sue, Derek loves it now as much as I do.

8. sueturner31 February 28, 2014 @ 4:47 pm (#)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 2nd, 2014 @ 4:38 pm

Same here Sue, Derek loves it now as much as I do.

9. home, garden, life March 1, 2014 @ 4:17 pm (#)

I’d give a lot to have a barrow like that. Impossible to find that design here in the US. Why does UK lead in barrow design???

10. home, garden, life March 1, 2014 @ 4:17 pm (#)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 2nd, 2014 @ 4:39 pm

How strange, you’d imagine the design would be a standard thing.