The Chilli Challenge February Update

Whilst it’s been quiet at the plot in the few weeks things are progressing at a pace with the chillies.  They arrived in the post at the end of the first week of February and were sown a couple of days later in small peat pots.  Four pots per variety, two seeds per pot and into the heated propagator set at 26°C. Two weeks later all with the exception of the Hungarian Hot Wax all have started to germinate.

Cayenne Chilli

These photographs of the Cayenne were taken yesterday.

Cayenne ChilliOn a final note if you’re using plastic labels please make sure you use a waterproof pen otherwise you will look at the pots just as you are about to go to bed and realise that the ink is disappearing before your very eyes.  A lively ‘conversation’ will then ensue along with some frantic rushing around to remedy the situation. It doesn’t make for the most restful end to the day.

If you’re growing chillies and would like to post a link to some pictures on your blog or facebook page in the comments then please do.

18 Responses to “The Chilli Challenge February Update”

1. Joanne February 24, 2014 @ 1:51 pm (#)

I suffered the same fate a couple of years back. I now always keep my trusty pencil in the packet of seed labels. My sweet pea & chilli sowing has come to a halt. Mike has my seed compost in the boot of his car& he is away until Wednesday. Pfft!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 24th, 2014 @ 2:18 pm

Oops, is he in trouble? I must remember to sow sweet peas, for some reason they’re not on my list.

2. Southbourne Gardens February 24, 2014 @ 2:18 pm (#)

3. annjenny February 24, 2014 @ 5:12 pm (#)

I’ve never tried growing chillies, but I shall look forward to more updates on yours. They look very good so far.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 24th, 2014 @ 5:18 pm

They’re being lavished with a lot of attention Ann.

4. Sue@GLAllotments February 24, 2014 @ 5:14 pm (#)

Not me I’m afraid

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 24th, 2014 @ 5:19 pm

Is it the heat you don’t like Sue or just spicy flavours?

5. Rozzie February 24, 2014 @ 8:59 pm (#)

I’m growing a large variety of chillis too but nothing has surfaced yet. You can have a look on my blog for the sowing post if you like – http://growmyowneden.blogspot.com

I used a pencil for my plastic markers and it seems to be standing up well after multiple sprays from the spray bottle thus far, but I also made a diagram to keep me right in case the writing fades or wipes off at some point

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 25th, 2014 @ 10:05 pm

Wise advice Rozzie, it was a moment I can tell you. Your blog is lovely, shall enjoy having a good read.

6. Rozzie February 24, 2014 @ 8:59 pm (#)

7. horticulturalhobbit February 24, 2014 @ 9:58 pm (#)

Growing chillies is fabulous. Have sown some experimental Superhots this year. Made lots of chilli jelly last year.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 25th, 2014 @ 10:07 pm

Now tell me what is a ‘Superhot’? If you have a good recipe for the jelly I’d love the link to it.

• horticulturalhobbit replied: — February 25th, 2014 @ 10:15 pm

Superhots, are chilies that are very high on the schoville scale. Such as the Dorset naga. A good recipe is the one by nigella Lawson, which comes up on a search engine. The results of which can be found on the blog 🙂

8. horticulturalhobbit February 25, 2014 @ 10:15 pm (#)

9. AllotmentinmyGarden February 27, 2014 @ 9:34 pm (#)

I was getting very impatient with my chillis which didn’t seem to be making any progress but they’ve had a breakthrough this week:
    All my chilli peppers last year were really late so I’m determined to be ahead of the game this year 🙂
    Cathy

10. Southbourne Gardens March 3, 2014 @ 3:07 pm (#)

Another update here from Craig at My Potting Bench http://mypottingbench.wordpress.com/2014/03/02/chilli-challenge-2014-part-1/

11. Southbourne Gardens March 3, 2014 @ 3:07 pm (#)