The Seed Edit

There’s been lots of talk across various blogs and forums about the coming growing season and the seed ordering that inevitably goes along with it.  If I asked you how many packets of seeds you have kicking around, could you tell me without counting?  I’ll give you to the nearest ten. I ask because whilst tidying up I found sixty packets in various cupboards and containers, that I had completely forgotten about.

Seeds

This is them, along with all the packets that have been hanging around at the plot.  How’s this happened? Well, The Garden Centre Group reduce all their seed to fifty pence every year on the first of September so of course that’s an opportunity not to be missed especially for more expensive things like peas and beans, then there’s another burst of excitement around now when all the new seasons varieties arrive and it seems like an inexpensive treat to buy one or two packets and also because it’s always frustrating if you want to do a bit of sequential sowing and you don’t have the seeds you need to hand.

So before I buy anymore I’ll be sorting through all of these, keeping the ones that are on the planting plan that are still in date and things like salad where seed that’s out of date is likely to be fine.  Parsnips, we know the seed has to be fresh, so those along with the packets that have been nibbled by mice will be in the bin and the rest I’ll give to fellow plot holders or grow for the plant swap.

I’ll look forward to reading your confessions or otherwise in the comments.

18 Responses to “The Seed Edit”

1. sueturner31 February 19, 2014 @ 3:39 pm (#)

I would say there are probably around 70 packets …but I have just sent away for 19 more….WHY…….?

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 19th, 2014 @ 9:06 pm

It’s just the way of things I think Sue.

2. Joanne February 19, 2014 @ 3:47 pm (#)

I am pretty sure I have lots more than that, I’m too scared to look. I was going to place a sneaky seed order at the end of the week but I really don’t need to. Anyway I’m supposed to be banned from buying seeds, wool & fabric until the end of April as apparently I have too much of them, as if!!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 19th, 2014 @ 9:08 pm

Ah, you could always try the ‘what this old thing’ technique; these seeds? I’ve had them for ages.

• Rozzie replied: — February 19th, 2014 @ 9:18 pm

I’m with you there!! My friend is moving and called me up today to say she would be dropping off a huge bag of fabrics for me because she’s trying not to take too much with her. I think that’s okay, I didn’t really buy that fabric myself so surely I can take it on even though I have no where to put it either…

Seeds are going the same way lol

3. c to c friendspirations February 19, 2014 @ 5:11 pm (#)

Since I am new to gardening, I only have a few packets. However, over the weekend I went to the local hardware store and purchased some more packets… I can see how easy it can be to accumulate so many.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 19th, 2014 @ 9:03 pm

All too easy and very exciting when you first start growing; so much possibility.

4. Sue@GLAllotments February 19, 2014 @ 5:47 pm (#)

Haven’t counted but I bet we could give you a run for your money!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 19th, 2014 @ 9:02 pm

Now Sue, I expected a telling off from you. Nice to know i’m in good company.

5. crthompson2013 February 19, 2014 @ 6:41 pm (#)

96. *looks away ashamed*

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 19th, 2014 @ 9:04 pm

Eek, though must admit I haven’t counted ours.

6. Rozzie February 19, 2014 @ 9:14 pm (#)

I’m scared to count!! I estimate at over 100 somewhere. I sowed loads of them today though…so that’s not really that bad is it..?

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 12:19 pm

Hi Rozzie, they soon mount up and of course you’re right, it never seems so bad once you start sowing.

7. annjenny February 20, 2014 @ 6:05 pm (#)

I confess to having lots too! I am always worried that germination will be poor if the packets have been open for a while, even if they are still in date., but it does seem a shame. Glad I’m not the only one!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 12:21 pm

I’ve sown salad leaves way beyond date and they’ve been fine, but anything that’s more of a time investment I’m with you.

8. horticulturalhobbit February 23, 2014 @ 11:24 am (#)

I can tell you how many seed stashes I have. Two. But I refuse to count that number of seed packets. When I was new to sowing, I had hundreds. Most of which I probably couldn’t have cultivated due to lack of space. Now I have only those that I fancy playing with and donate those that are extra or not my kinda thing to a loving home. That said, I do get my head turned quite easily by different veg varieties.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 23rd, 2014 @ 12:24 pm

I’ll definitely donate some and also grow some things for the plant swap at the end of May.

9. Pingback: Seed Tapes | Southbourne Gardens