No we haven’t done a fast forward to June, I’ve just had a bit of a slip off the seasonal eating wagon. The combination of an almost empty pot of jam and the supermarket having some large punnets of Spanish strawberries on special offer. In stock for Valentine’s day presumably. Not that that was on my mind at all.
I made marmalade a month ago and have been itching to get on with my next preserving project, the trouble is the rhubarb is still some weeks off, so I’ve been looking for something else to bridge the gap. It’s been quite a while since I last made jam so a trial run of something seemed like a good idea and that’s what I’ve spent the morning doing.
This is a preserve rather than a jam so the pieces of fruit are kept whole and the recipe is another one from Delia Smith, as always reliable, my only note being that for me it made two 0.35 litre jars rather than the two 0.5 litres specified.
It didn’t take long; hull the fruit and steep it in preserving sugar overnight, this will firm up the strawberries and release the cooking liquid, then another hour today to cook the preserve and pot it up in sterilised jars.
Now let’s just see if we can refrain from opening it before we finish the old jar.
The link for the recipe is here.