Camembert Baked With Thyme And Honey

I’ve had a bit of a melted cheese obsession of late. A couple of weeks ago, the La Fromagerie in Marylebone were serving up Tomino, an Italian soft cheese, wrapped in prosciuttio, griddled and served in a brioche bun with silky, soft, fried onions at their outside food stall.  It was love at first bite and I’ve been thinking about it ever since. Whilst I can’t find Tomino cheese locally there is of course plenty of Camembert and baked in the oven it more than does the job.

Baked Camembert

Ingredients

1 Whole boxed Camembert – I used a 150gm Isigny Ste Mére.
Some slivers of fresh garlic.
Sprigs of fresh thyme.
A spoonful of clear honey.

Baked Camembert

Method

Take the camembert from the fridge and bring to room temperature.

Remove all the packaging, keeping the box.

Slice the rind off of the top of the cheese and press the garlic and thyme into the cheese gently.

Replace the rind and put the cheese back in the box.

Bake in an oven heated to 200˚C for 12 to 15 minutes until soft.

Remove the box lid and rind and drizzle with the the honey.

Though I could just eat this with a spoon it’s probably more polite to put it on a plate and serve with it with some crusty bread.  It’s enough for two people.

15 Responses to “Camembert Baked With Thyme And Honey”

1. Urvashi Roe February 14, 2014 @ 2:43 pm (#)

And on the subject of cheese this is exactly what we are having for dinner later. Well I should say late night snack as dinner is fish pie. I love the thyme and honey idea. I was going to go for garlic but you’ve got me thinking now!

2. Urvashi Roe February 14, 2014 @ 2:43 pm (#)

3. Southbourne Gardens February 14, 2014 @ 2:58 pm (#)

We seem to be on the same cheesy wavelength today, great minds and all that! I have put garlic in this as well.

Did you get the potatoes you wanted by the way? I’m going to the RHS event in London this week if you want me to look out for some.

4. Joanne February 14, 2014 @ 6:59 pm (#)

Try as I do I’m not a lover of Camembert. Which is a shame as I love the idea of it. I wonder if honey & thyme might make a difference for me. I shall have to find out.

5. annjenny February 14, 2014 @ 9:43 pm (#)

I love the sound of honey and thyme. It looks lovely.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 14th, 2014 @ 9:47 pm

Thank you! I ate most of this for lunch.

6. Anna February 16, 2014 @ 5:25 pm (#)

Mmmmm – naughty but nice. Will have to look for Tomino cheese next week when I venture to Chester where there is a brilliant cheese shop 🙂

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 17th, 2014 @ 3:21 pm

Ooh, let me know if you find it.

7. Awanthi @ I Speak Awanthi February 19, 2014 @ 2:40 am (#)

I go weak in the knees for melted cheese. I mean, I _literally_ do. That brioche sounds gorgeous. Gah, I want a melted cheese sandwich now.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 19th, 2014 @ 3:44 pm

I’m definitely going to trying it in the near future Awanthi.

8. Awanthi @ I Speak Awanthi February 19, 2014 @ 2:40 am (#)

9. Southbourne Gardens February 19, 2014 @ 3:44 pm (#)

I’m definitely going to trying it in the near future Awanthi.

10. Pingback: culture: the word on cheese