Fennel and Apple Coleslaw

Last Sunday morning I drove to Regent’s Park to pick Derek up from a training session with friends André and Steven for the London to Brighton Bike Ride that they’re taking part in later this year in aid of the British Heart Foundation.  My reward for such spousal dedication was a browse around the farmers market in Moxon Street.  Amongst all the typical winter vegetables was a crate of fennel bulbs.  For this recipe I’ve sliced and mixed one of them with some crisp green apple and vinaigrette to make a coleslaw, which is seen here on smoked trout and seeded brown bread.

IMG_4053

Ingredients

1 bulb of fennel
1 green apple – I used a Granny Smith
juice of half a lemon
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon honey
half a teaspoon of Dijon mustard

Fennel and Apple Coleslaw

Method

Shred the fennel as finely as possible.

Slice the apple and add to the fennel.

Whisk together the oil, lemon, honey and mustard.

Stir into to the apple and fennel until they are fully coated.

Leave to stand for fifteen minutes before using.

29 Responses to “Fennel and Apple Coleslaw”

1. Joanne February 7, 2014 @ 4:01 pm (#)

I like fennel roasted round a chicken or a joint of pork. I find it a little too strong raw, though Mike does enjoy it as a salad ingredient.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 9th, 2014 @ 2:21 pm

Roasting is my next thing to try with it Joanne. Can imagine it’s especially good with chicken.

2. Joanne February 7, 2014 @ 4:01 pm (#)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 9th, 2014 @ 2:21 pm

3. Sue@GLAllotments February 7, 2014 @ 5:19 pm (#)

I’m sure if I liked fennel I would love this but unfortunately I don’t. 🙁

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 9th, 2014 @ 2:22 pm

I think it’s a bit like Marmite Sue. White cabbage would of course work well instead.

4. Sue@GLAllotments February 7, 2014 @ 5:19 pm (#)

I’m sure if I liked fennel I would love this but unfortunately I don’t. 🙁

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 9th, 2014 @ 2:22 pm

5. annjenny February 7, 2014 @ 7:32 pm (#)

This looks very crisp and refreshing. I grew fennel on the allotment last year, but germination was quite poor and they were very small!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 9th, 2014 @ 2:23 pm

We tried a couple of years ago with no success but think it’ll be on the list again for this season.

6. Urvashi Roe February 7, 2014 @ 7:46 pm (#)

I love fennel in coleslaw. Never paired it with apple though so I must try that. We usually pair with Beetroot as we had such a glut at the allotment.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 9th, 2014 @ 2:25 pm

I really like it with apple and also like the apple with smoked salmon and even roll mop herrings. I’ve seen quite a few salads with beetroot and also with orange so on the list to try.

• Urvashi Roe replied: — February 9th, 2014 @ 7:10 pm

Oh yes. Fennel, Beet and Orange sounds awesome!

7. Urvashi Roe February 7, 2014 @ 7:46 pm (#)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 9th, 2014 @ 2:25 pm

• Urvashi Roe replied: — February 9th, 2014 @ 7:10 pm

Oh yes. Fennel, Beet and Orange sounds awesome!

8. Arthur in the Garden! February 7, 2014 @ 11:36 pm (#)

Yummy!

9. home, garden, life February 9, 2014 @ 1:56 pm (#)

Stunning! I love the simplicity! The best way to create meals! Wish I had some of that smoked salmon here in the US.

10. home, garden, life February 9, 2014 @ 1:56 pm (#)

11. home, garden, life February 9, 2014 @ 2:03 pm (#)

Er, smoked trout. We can get it here, yet I am sure it would be better there! 😉

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 9th, 2014 @ 2:26 pm

Thank you! I like quite a mild smoke which this trout is and also the finer grain, but a mild smoked salmon would work well.

12. Southbourne Gardens February 9, 2014 @ 2:23 pm (#)

13. thegardendeli February 9, 2014 @ 9:37 pm (#)

Fennel and apple sounds like a good combination of flavours for a winter salad… and nice and easy to make too!

14. thegardendeli February 9, 2014 @ 9:37 pm (#)

15. David Ford February 10, 2014 @ 10:07 pm (#)

wonderful photography and really yummie food I love the combination

16. David Ford February 10, 2014 @ 10:07 pm (#)

wonderful photography and really yummie food I love the combination