Cleaning The Greenhouse

I know that cleaning the greenhouse is important, it’s one of the more significant investments that we’ve made on the plot and I want to look after it and also for hygiene, removing dirt, debris and dealing with any insects etc. seems like good practice.  So why has it been on every ‘to do’ list I’ve written since last October?

Every time I wrote it down again, the scale of the task grew in my mind until it seemed to be of Herculean proportions.

Greenhouse

Of course as is often the case with jobs like this, the reality was very different and it amounted to an hour and a half for the two of us to do it, Derek cleaning the roof because he’s tall and me doing the staging and the side panels.

Hot water, j cloths to wash, microfibre cloths to dry, Dettol disinfectant and Jayes fluid, which was surprisingly hard to come by, and a stiff brush being the things we needed. I once heard someone say that gardening was like outdoor house work and in this case that’s probably so.

IMG_3868

It’s gleaming now and ready to be restocked with seed compost and vermiculite for the new season.  There’s just the plant pots to wash now.

13 Responses to “Cleaning The Greenhouse”

1. Joanne February 3, 2014 @ 12:11 pm (#)

We half heartedly looked at the cleaning stuff for the greenhouse yesterday. It has been put off for a couple of weeks but it really does need doing. Jeyes fluid does seem hard to find I’ve been looking for ages. Well done on getting it done.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 3rd, 2014 @ 12:15 pm

Thank you! We really struggled to find it too Joanne, our trading hut buy it in bulk and sell it old wine bottles but I didn’t fancy that. I think this came from a local hardware shop. Also have you seen the price of it?

2. Sarah February 3, 2014 @ 1:57 pm (#)

Looks good – and, as you say, all set for the new season. I’m now incredibly embarrassed by the state of my greenhouse… I may even have to venture out with a cloth and bucket of disinfectant!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 3rd, 2014 @ 5:33 pm

It doesn’t take much especially in this weather. Ours was filthy Sarah and i think we’d had mice.

3. Sports Portrait Artist February 3, 2014 @ 5:29 pm (#)

I have To Do Lists as well, and cleaning the greenhouse should be on there. I have just written a blog post about cleaning out my four little sheds, two on the allotment, two in the garden. Needless to say, I have not done any of them, just taken some photos to remind me of the mess!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 3rd, 2014 @ 5:35 pm

Crikey, four sheds is quite and undertaking, are they just for storage or do you use them for propagating? The trouble is I just get cross when I come to work in it and can’t move around properly.

• Sports Portrait Artist replied: — February 3rd, 2014 @ 5:39 pm

My sheds are just for storage, there is very little light or space in them. For propagating I use the greenhouse, but I can’t get in that at the moment, as it is full of over-wintering stuff, shrouded in fleece. Maybe I am just making life difficult for myself! I should chuck a lot of the stuff out. But that applies to the house, too!

4. Sue@GLAllotments February 3, 2014 @ 5:36 pm (#)

We have two greenhouses still to sort out, At least your greenhouse should be free of bird flu 🙂

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 3rd, 2014 @ 5:38 pm

Let’s hope! Of course can’t wait to get going now.

5. annjenny February 3, 2014 @ 6:26 pm (#)

What a lovely greenhouse. I am seriously envious! I keep wondering whether to get one for the allotment, but am not sure. I have a little cold frame which I find quite useful.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 3rd, 2014 @ 8:14 pm

Thank you Ann, and thank you for taking time to read the blog. I find a cold frame invaluable at the plot. Have you got a greenhouse at home?

• annjenny replied: — February 3rd, 2014 @ 8:19 pm

No room in our garden for a proper greenhouse I’m afraid, but have got a little plastic covered one which is ok when the weather gets a bit warmer.