Rhubarb Muffins

Packed full of fruit this recipe uses the beautiful pale pink stems of forced rhubarb and a dash of vanilla. It makes six large muffins but of course the quantities are easily doubled if you want more.

Rhubarb Muffins

Ingredients

200 gms forced rhubarb – two or three sticks
110 gms plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
60 gms unsalted butter
60 mls milk
75 gms soft light brown sugar
half a teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 large egg
a litte Demerara sugarΒ

A muffin tray and paper cases.

Rhubarb Muffins

Method

Preheat the oven to 190Β°C.

Wash and dry the rhubarb sticks, slice into 1cm pieces

Sift the flour into a bowl with the baking powder, add the sugar.

Melt the butter, cool and whisk together with the eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Β Mix into the flour and sugar.

Fold in the rhubarb.

Put the paper cases in the tin and divide the mixture evenly between them.

Sprinkle some Demerara sugar on the top of each one.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

Remove the muffins from the tin and place on a rack until cool.

Enjoy

40 Responses to “Rhubarb Muffins”

1. Jardin January 31, 2014 @ 1:44 pm (#)

Looking delicious! Love the tender stalks of forced rhubarb.

2. Jardin January 31, 2014 @ 1:44 pm (#)

Looking delicious! Love the tender stalks of forced rhubarb.

3. Jardin January 31, 2014 @ 1:44 pm (#)

Looking delicious! Love the tender stalks of forced rhubarb.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 31st, 2014 @ 4:07 pm

I’m forcing some for the first time this year, but thinking it will be another month. Couldn’t wait when I saw these.

4. Sports Portrait Artist January 31, 2014 @ 2:05 pm (#)

They look delicious, what a good idea to use the early rhubarb. Mine is not showing yet. Your photos are so admirable, do you have a good zoom lens, I guess so?

5. Sports Portrait Artist January 31, 2014 @ 2:05 pm (#)

6. Sports Portrait Artist January 31, 2014 @ 2:05 pm (#)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 31st, 2014 @ 4:08 pm

Mine neither! Thank for your kind comments about the photography, more often than no I use my phone.

7. Sue@GLAllotments January 31, 2014 @ 2:13 pm (#)

I’ve made something similar – rhubarb crumble muffins which has a crumble topping sprinkled on top. It also uses oil rather than butter. Looks very similar though and we enjoyed them.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 31st, 2014 @ 4:10 pm

I’ve looked at a few different cake recipes using oil instead of butter but am a bit nervous to try.

• Sue@GLAllotments replied: — January 31st, 2014 @ 4:34 pm

Do have a go – it works well.

8. Sue@GLAllotments January 31, 2014 @ 2:13 pm (#)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 31st, 2014 @ 4:10 pm

• Sue@GLAllotments replied: — January 31st, 2014 @ 4:34 pm

Do have a go – it works well.

9. Sue@GLAllotments January 31, 2014 @ 2:13 pm (#)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 31st, 2014 @ 4:10 pm

10. Mark Willis January 31, 2014 @ 2:45 pm (#)

Very good-looking (though I would be tempted to cover them in custard myself!) Now there’s an idea – you could cover them in a yellow icing to mimic cuatard…

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 31st, 2014 @ 4:10 pm

Ha, Derek did exactly that with the first batch I made.

11. Southbourne Gardens January 31, 2014 @ 4:10 pm (#)

Ha, Derek did exactly that with the first batch I made.

12. Southbourne Gardens January 31, 2014 @ 4:10 pm (#)

Ha, Derek did exactly that with the first batch I made.

13. home, garden, life February 1, 2014 @ 4:13 pm (#)

Yum! A bit early for rhubarb here and I think I am in the mood for popovers!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 1st, 2014 @ 4:19 pm

It is here Diane, this has come from Yorkshire, grown in sheds. Tell me, do you make your popovers sweet or savoury?

• home, garden, life replied: — February 1st, 2014 @ 4:23 pm

With lots of butter! And often drizzled with maple syrup! πŸ˜‰

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 1st, 2014 @ 4:24 pm

Oh nice.

• home, garden, life replied: — February 1st, 2014 @ 4:30 pm

I am also wild about Yorkshire Pudding…such a showstopper! This must be savory, as the beef tenderloin should be nearby. I only dream of this, as I only make it for food clients…during holiday time.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 1st, 2014 @ 4:39 pm

We only have it with beef as well though having had this conversation I might need to reconsider that.

14. home, garden, life February 1, 2014 @ 4:13 pm (#)

Yum! A bit early for rhubarb here and I think I am in the mood for popovers!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 1st, 2014 @ 4:19 pm

15. home, garden, life February 1, 2014 @ 4:13 pm (#)

Yum! A bit early for rhubarb here and I think I am in the mood for popovers!

16. home, garden, life February 1, 2014 @ 4:23 pm (#)

With lots of butter! And often drizzled with maple syrup! πŸ˜‰

17. Ayesha (Miss Spicy Hat n' Sugar Socks) February 6, 2014 @ 3:54 pm (#)

these look amazing…I’ve never tried rhubarb muffins before! πŸ™‚

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — February 6th, 2014 @ 4:01 pm

Thank you for your kind comment Ayesha.

18. Ayesha (Miss Spicy Hat n' Sugar Socks) February 6, 2014 @ 3:54 pm (#)

these look amazing…I’ve never tried rhubarb muffins before! πŸ™‚

19. Ayesha (Miss Spicy Hat n' Sugar Socks) February 6, 2014 @ 3:54 pm (#)

these look amazing…I’ve never tried rhubarb muffins before! πŸ™‚