Seed Potatoes

Two visits to the plot already this week and it feels like we’re settling into the normal routine of things.  Also I have seed potatoes from Ayletts. So all is good.  We grow our potatoes in Burgon &Ball black bags and since they only hold eight tubers I prefer to buy them from loose seed, rather than pre-packaged, meaning I can check each one.  Firm and undamaged being the requirement.

IMG_3896

New or salad potatoes are a favourite of mine through Summer and early Autumn and so I’ve chosen;

Anya
Pictured on the left of the photograph. A second early. These are smoother than Pink Fir Apple, the texture is firm and waxy with  nutty flavour.

Belle de Fontenay
On the right. Another second early with a buttery flavour and waxy texture.

Pink Fir Apple
In the centre.  A maincrop, long and irregular in appearance, creamy in texture, with nutty flavour.

If you’re new to growing potatoes I’d recommend sourcing them from a good independent nursery, the quality is likely to be better and the choice of varieties far wider. Alternatively Pennards Plants or JBA Seed Potatoes are good mail order businesses.

Pennards Plants are also hosting a number of ‘Potato Days’ around the country the details are here.

9 Responses to “Seed Potatoes”

1. Joanne January 22, 2014 @ 12:13 pm (#)

I will be perusing the seed potato selections at the end of the month, if they are available. I shall take a look at the Burgon & Ball bags. I have grown all three of the varieties you listed in the past & they have done well for me.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 23rd, 2014 @ 6:21 am

The bags work well for us Joanne given our potato growing is on such a small scale.

2. Sue@glallotments January 22, 2014 @ 7:27 pm (#)

We get ours from JBA but have opted for a February delivery

3. Southbourne Gardens January 23, 2014 @ 6:22 am (#)

I got over excited Sue!

4. Damo January 25, 2014 @ 6:12 pm (#)

Oh I love getting seed potatoes, just bought far too many at the Hampshire Potato Day!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 25th, 2014 @ 8:21 pm

I’m sure my selection is very modest compared to yours! Hope it was a good day, it sounds so.

5. David Ford January 27, 2014 @ 12:05 pm (#)

I haven`t been able to track down my favourite potato Belle locally and dont want to pay an awful amount of postage for about 2 Kg so have gone for Charlotte

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 27th, 2014 @ 12:22 pm

Is that the same as the Belle de Fontenay? I really like Charlotte and it was a tough choice between the two.

• David Ford replied: — January 27th, 2014 @ 4:25 pm

It is I was too lazy to type the whole name