Seville Orange Marmalade

As a child It wasn’t unusual at this time of the year to find the kitchen enveloped in a gorgeous aromatic, citrusy fug  as my mother made our marmalade for the year. Though perhaps not such a enthusiastic gardener she was always keen to make the most of what she did grow by preserving it in some way, of course we didn’t grow Seville oranges but their arrival into the green grocers in late winter months would signal the start of a seasonal calendar of events.

IMG_3794

The dining room sideboard was kept full to bursting with all sorts of sweet and savoury goodness, bottled black currants, pickled onions, green tomato chutney, marmalade and strawberry jam all fighting for shelf space.  On taking up the allotment I was determined to follow her example but in truth, bar a couple of batches of chutney and a bit of chilli jam, my efforts have been found wanting.

IMG_3801

Last weekend however, while mooching around on twitter, I picked up on a conversation started by Gillian Pulford who tweets under the name LottieLove saying that she was going to preserve through the seasons using Pam Corbin’s (aka Pam The Jam) Preserves book written as part of the River Cottage Handbook series.  It was a bit of lightbulb moment and I’ve decided to do the same, beginning yesterday with Seville orange marmalade.

IMG_3812

In the end I didn’t use Pam’s recipe because it requires the peel to be soaked overnight and I hadn’t budgeted the time for this so it was Delia Smith instead.  I was a bit nervous about it and though not difficult it is time consuming, definitely one for a rainy day, but I’m thrilled with the results.  The full recipe is here.  Next on the list is for February is Early Rhubarb Jam.

IMG_3811

If you’d like to join in with this challenge or are doing some preserving of your own let me know in the comments, it would be great to have some company.

11 Responses to “Seville Orange Marmalade”

1. Sports Portrait Artist January 13, 2014 @ 5:42 pm (#)

Hi it must be January! I bought some Seville Oranges on Saturday at Waitrose and so this week is marmalade week. Thanks for reminding me about the soaking bit. I just put a recipe for Squash and Tomato soup, made by ‘him indoors’, on my allotment garden blog which is :
    http://paulinagardens.blogspot.co.uk so hope you can take a look. Like the way you have designed your blog, and will now be following.

Paulina

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 13th, 2014 @ 5:59 pm

Hi Paulina, thank you for taking the time to read the blog and sign up for the email notifications. I’ve edited your comment to contain a hyperlink to your blog so that others who stop by can also take a look if they wish.
      Enjoy your marmalade making.

2. Sports Portrait Artist January 13, 2014 @ 6:03 pm (#)

Thanks very much, kind of you to do the hyperlink. The allotment site, which is in London, is partly under water at present, like quite a lot of others. I feel sorry for all the gardeners who have had all their hard work spoiled by the dreadful flooding recently. Can’t wait for the spring!!!!

3. home, garden, life January 14, 2014 @ 8:03 pm (#)

Yum! I never make marmalade, so kudos to you! I do make chutneys and many seasonal jams and this year purchased a jam book entitled, Blue Chair Jam Book by Rachael Saunders. Do you know it? If not, you must own a copy. This CA author is delightful and her recipes spot on using only fruit, citrus, and sugar! Amazing!!!
    I also purchased a copy of The River Cottage Preserve Cookbook, yet have not made any recipes. Just good reading!
    NOW you have inspired me to get off my bum and consider winter marmalade. With so much time on my hands until March, I’d best create some magic. Cheers! Diane

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 15th, 2014 @ 2:01 pm

Thank you Diane. The Delia Smith recipe works well, I’m really pleased with the results and am also keen to take a look at this by Vivian Lloyd http://www.vivienlloydpreserves.com/marmalade/ Have just looked up Rachael Saunders’ book which also looks interesting. Lots of inspiration.

4. Blogosphere Magazine January 15, 2014 @ 1:49 pm (#)

This looks delicious! Will most certainly be back to investigate the Early Rhubarb Jam. Heard it’s in dire times, the old Rhubarb, so hope there’s some left!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 15th, 2014 @ 1:54 pm

Thank you! I’m sure we’ll have plenty of rhubarb, there are five crowns on our allotment.

5. Gill January 18, 2014 @ 6:28 pm (#)

Brilliant, so pleased it went well and I must look up Delias recipe, it was my first time making and will definitely be trying again. Here’s to the rhubarb, we have a couple of crowns and shamefully didnt make the most of it last year, so its good to have a plan.
    What a lovely blog you have, will definitely be looking in
    Cheers Gill (aka LottieLove)

6. Urvashi Roe February 25, 2014 @ 8:56 pm (#)

I really want to find some time to make preserves. I have the gentle art of preserving by the caldesi family but I haven’t had the chance to really take a step back and do it.

7. Pingback: In Bloom | Southbourne Gardens