Hellebore Verboom Beauty

I found myself wandering around the plant centre at Wisley a couple of weeks ago, I hadn’t planned to but whilst they may not welcome the comparison it’s a bit like Walt Disney World, in that which ever way you want to leave you most certainly will have to do so via a shop. There were no plans to linger, just a straight exit.  I stand by what I said in this post about nurseries and garden centres at this time of year and if anything early January can be even worse whilst they are waiting for new seasons seeds etc. to arrive.  There was however something well worth looking at, a full display of these; Helleborus Verboom Beauty.

IMG_3736

According to the available information it’s a recently introduced variety, popular because of the mass of delicate white flowers and because it flowers early, from December, the idea being that you could display inside over Christmas and then plant it out in January.  I do think it would look lovely for that but then so do white cyclamen at a fraction of the price, so I’d rather keep it outside where it would look gorgeous in planters or as part of a border.

IMG_3696

On a final point as with anything it’s worth shopping around.  Those at RHS Wisley are currently £14.99, Ayletts have stock priced at £9.99, I didn’t find an online source but perhaps if you do know one you might leave a comment.

24 Responses to “Hellebore Verboom Beauty”

1. Anna January 8, 2014 @ 11:02 pm (#)

Now that looks rather eye-catching. Will have to look out for it 🙂

2. Sue@GLAllotments January 9, 2014 @ 11:45 am (#)

£14.99?!!! We went to a local garden centre today and could hardly find any of the garden related stuff we needed- it was all selling off Christmas items and empty shelving units – oh yes and Valentines cards!

3. Sue@GLAllotments January 9, 2014 @ 11:45 am (#)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 9th, 2014 @ 11:59 am

I know Sue, though I do have some Christmas gift money.

• Sue@GLAllotments replied: — January 9th, 2014 @ 12:02 pm

Better to get two though than just one!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 9th, 2014 @ 12:17 pm

I should really have ordered those that you recommended.

• Sue@GLAllotments replied: — January 9th, 2014 @ 4:56 pm

They are still on offer 6 for £10 here http://www.hayloft-plants.co.uk/Helleborus-(Hellebore)/Collection/prod8913.html or 5 for £10 here. If you go to Hayloft and search for hellebore you can access their selection. The thing is that they won’t be large plants and will need growing on so no flowers this year!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 9th, 2014 @ 5:03 pm

Oh, thank you for that. The size is not an issue, just where to put them. The ones I have grow in between the rhubarb plants which works really well, wondering if I could fit some more in. Desperate for another plot really.

4. Sue@GLAllotments January 9, 2014 @ 11:45 am (#)

5. Southbourne Gardens January 9, 2014 @ 12:02 pm (#)

Isn’t it Anna.

6. Southbourne Gardens January 9, 2014 @ 12:02 pm (#)

Isn’t it Anna.

7. Southbourne Gardens January 9, 2014 @ 5:03 pm (#)

8. Jane Scorer January 11, 2014 @ 1:00 pm (#)

Very lovely, and so tempting as it would be the first flower of the new season EVERY year ! Is it an ‘upward looking’ Hellebore ? It looks as if it is. Mind you, I do love the surprise of lifting the heads of the ‘downward looking’ ones to appreciate them fully.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 11th, 2014 @ 1:28 pm

Very tempting! Yes it is an upward variety, with lots of flowers and not a great deal of foliage.

9. Jane Scorer January 11, 2014 @ 1:00 pm (#)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 11th, 2014 @ 1:28 pm

10. Southbourne Gardens January 11, 2014 @ 1:28 pm (#)