Friday Plotlines

It’s a mixed bag at the plot this week, with so much rain over the past few days I’m leaving the main part of the plot well alone.  The garlic and broad beans are in the raised beds where there is good drainage and are doing well.  Derek took these photographs on Sunday

.Image

Image

The shed is now finished, roof shingles on, ‘hedgehog’ in the guttering to keep it clear of leaves and a new far larger water butt.  We can now start ‘discussing’ what will be kept where.  I’m keen to get the greenhouse as empty as possible and cleaned so we can start sowing.  Next week if there’s a dry day, onions and shallots are first on the list.

Image

Image

Image

Preparation of a bean row is also on the horizon, Bob was digging his last week so it must be the right time.  We need to make a full planting plan for the year first to decide where to position it.  This is when I long for a second plot to fit everything in, there’s already a list of thoughts and ideas stretching to two pages long.

I hope everyone is enjoying the break and managing to stay dry.

V.

11 Responses to “Friday Plotlines”

1. Sue@GLAllotments December 27, 2013 @ 3:27 pm (#)

The first photo makes it look as though the tree is barring entry. I hope we get a dry day soon so you can set to.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — December 27th, 2013 @ 3:38 pm

It’s a plum tree on the adjacent plot and we hope it’s going!
      Think we’ll be digging a lot more sand into the ground this year, what’s yours like at the moment Sue?

• Sue@GLAllotments replied: — December 27th, 2013 @ 4:53 pm

It’s wet and soggy as it generally is this time of year – better left alone.

2. Sue@GLAllotments December 27, 2013 @ 3:27 pm (#)

3. Joanne December 27, 2013 @ 4:26 pm (#)

It is too grotty for me to venture outside yet. Your post does remind me though I need to start my broad beans off soon in the greenhouse.

4. Joanne December 27, 2013 @ 4:26 pm (#)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — December 27th, 2013 @ 8:52 pm

Lots to look forward to Joanne.

5. gardeninacity December 28, 2013 @ 4:22 am (#)

Nice to see tender green shoots, even if everything is soggy. At home the ground is frozen.

6. Anna December 28, 2013 @ 7:59 pm (#)

Far too wet here for me to venture to the allotment but at least our water butts will be more than replenished in case we have another hot summer 🙂 How exciting to see broad beans coming through – wish I had sown some in the autumn as it has been so mild. Have fun sorting out the greenhouse and making plans.

7. Anna December 28, 2013 @ 7:59 pm (#)