In Praise Of The Heuchera

It was always about flowers, flowers and herbs with a bit of fruit thrown in for good measure.  This is what I wanted from my allotment plot. Almost inevitably the vegetables have taken over but that’s a story for another day.  I have managed however to keep some space aside for my original plans, cramming blooms into every available bit of free ground.

IMG_3312

Between the flowers and the vegetables what the plot did need in parts was something to pull  it together visually and fill a few small gaps, a bit of garden glue if you will.  This is the place of the heuchera aka Coral Bells or Allum Root, a perennial that originated in North America.  Low growing and compact enough not to steal the show, typically 40cm x 40cm, the foliage comes in such a wide range of colours that it can add a pop to any planting scheme.  They are also straightforward to look after, sun or partial shade, well drained moist ground being all it takes.

The variety shown here is Obsidian. Details of other varieties at Heucheraholics here.

9 Responses to “In Praise Of The Heuchera”

1. Sue@GLAllotments December 17, 2013 @ 5:07 pm (#)

Must admit our plot tends to be an overspill area for plants that have been divided and won’t fit into the garden.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — December 17th, 2013 @ 5:10 pm

Makes it look pretty I think Sue. Just need another plot now to fit everything in.

2. home, garden, life December 19, 2013 @ 1:14 pm (#)

Love these beauties, yet the bunnies love them too! Hellebore do better here and are bullet proof.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — December 19th, 2013 @ 3:08 pm

No bunnies on our plot. Reminded though, the first time D. saw a display of Heuchera at a plant fair he thought they were lettuce. Admittedly it was from a distance, but still.

3. crthompson2013 December 20, 2013 @ 2:21 pm (#)

I do like Heucheras but I find the displays at the big shows leave me a bit cold. Something about having too many variations that it’s hard to find a favourite to connect with. However, they are great plants for me even in their own right and not just as a filler/blender for the borders. I also love Tellima grandiflora, and it’s pink varieties too, that suit a similar position and are so easy to grow from seed.

4. Anna December 22, 2013 @ 8:50 am (#)

I’m fond of heucheras along with their heucherella and tiarella relatives too – great colours, leaf patterns and some of them look good throughout the winter too 🙂 I have the other heuchera specialist Plantagogo nursery almost on the doorstep. The owners have visited our garden club and gave a fascinating talk on the subject of these plants 🙂

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — December 22nd, 2013 @ 1:28 pm

Thank you for your comment Anna. I would have enjoyed the talk, there really isn’t a great deal of information on line about them, even on the specialist websites. I’m adding the link for Plantagogo for anyone who would like to take a look http://www.plantagogo.com