Clifton Nurseries

We’re quite short of independent nurseries in this corner of the country, lack of available of space and high rents I guess being major factors, so it’s quite a surprise to find Clifton Nurseries tucked away behind the elegant white stucco houses of Clifton Villas in Little Venice.  I’ve visited a few times in the past but not for a while and I have to say when I went a couple of weeks ago I was completely blown away by it.

IMG_3325

IMG_3245

IMG_3246

IMG_3304

Garden Centres and nurseries can be bleak affairs at this time of year, turning themselves over to all that is supposedly Christmas, it’s not the trees and wreaths that I mind so much as the acres of cheap looking plastic baubles, tinsel etc. and it’s something from which even the RHS are not immune.

I’d be lying if I said there wasn’t a bit of this at Clifton, but not very much and what is there is lovely.  The most impressive feature currently however, is the sheer array and quality of the plants on offer.  I don’t want to add too much to surfeit of Christmas present ideas lists that are currently doing the rounds except to say that nothing would make me happier than finding a David Austin rose*, under the tree on the morning of the twenty-fifth.

IMG_3256

IMG_3248

I’m sure that for many keen gardeners a plant that you would not splash out on for yourself really is the ‘perfect gift’.  It you want to visit the details are here and there is also a very lovely cafe which you can see here.

*Gertrude Jeykll please.

12 Responses to “Clifton Nurseries”

1. Mark Willis December 13, 2013 @ 6:28 pm (#)

I share your views on the tacky Christmas rubbish on sale in most Garden Centres. The one nearest me has absolutely HUGE amounts of Christmas stcok, and some of it is very pricey, so they must have millions of quids-worth of stuff! I especially love your last photo – great composition and amazing colour.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — December 13th, 2013 @ 9:08 pm

Thank you re the photo Mark, I was just snapping with the phone and the light wasn’t great.

2. Sue@GLAllotments December 14, 2013 @ 8:56 am (#)

I do agree and try to keep away from nurseries at this time for that reason – too disappointing! We have one or two independents along with the usual chains (they seem to be the worst Christmas offenders but then again are full of non-gardening stuff all year round. Our favourite family nursery closed recently as the owner retired and wanted to keep the land. Love the houseplants.

3. Sue@GLAllotments December 14, 2013 @ 9:02 am (#)

Hope you don’t mind me mentioning but the when viewing the text on my monitor screen it is really small – especially the comments part. Quire difficult to read for someone without really good eyesight without zooming it up which some people probably won’t bother doing.

By the way the to should be do in the comment above – just zoomed up and spotted it.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — December 14th, 2013 @ 2:10 pm

Not at all Sue. It’s a problem with the theme I’m using. I’ve changed the font and made it darker so hopefully a bit better in the main post text. I’m planning to get the site redesigned so will be making some changes starting in the new year if you can bear with me.

• Sue@GLAllotments replied: — December 14th, 2013 @ 3:39 pm

Definitely better SG ( strangely my initials too)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — December 14th, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

Good. Also have had to reset my Safari today and have tried to comment on your blog today but they seem to be disappearing into the ether. Will try again tomorrow.

4. Pingback: Hellebore Verboom Beauty | Southbourne Gardens

5. lewishamgardens January 11, 2014 @ 6:47 pm (#)

I visited Clifton for the first time last year during Chelsea Fringe.
    I was so impressed Ive been back a few times since.
    Gorgeous plants and design. Not exactly bargains to be had, but I suppose they cater to their environment.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 11th, 2014 @ 6:55 pm

Everything looked so well cared for, it’s probably worth paying a little bit extra for that. Are you running any events for this year’s Chelsea Fringe?

• lewishamgardens replied: — January 11th, 2014 @ 9:08 pm

We co-produced the Edible High Road in Forest Hill last year – and we were so lucky that the wonderful Matthew Wilson (of Clifton Nurseries!) opened the event for us. Co-ordinating 70 trees, 50 shops and sundry volunteers was an *awful* lot of work!
        Heere are some photos : http://on.fb.me/1dFSSwm

This year, we’re considering wild flower meadows; if we go ahead we’ll be able to get the majority of the work done well before the Fringe starts. But no decisions made yet.

Ive just looked through my Clifton Nurseries photos folder from last summer. Gosh- those urns and statues were lovely; and the scent from all those trachelospermums lined up against the cloistered walkway- just a magical setting.

As for Christmas gifts- I was warned off buying heritage seed potatoes for everyone. Personally, I would have been delighted with a few bags of horticultural grit and some onion sets!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 11th, 2014 @ 9:17 pm

Laughing; think we’re all like that when the bug gets us.

The photographs are really super. If you would like any help with this year’s project I have some time to spare.