Chianti Poached Pears

Heavy with the spicy flavours of mulled wine, these pears make for quite a special dessert.  I used variety Glou Morceau from our plot but any firm pear will work well.

IMG_3470

Ingredients

6 firm pears with stalks attached
1 bottle of Chianti or other fruity red wine
225gms white caster sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 vanilla pod
a few sprigs of fresh thyme

IMG_3452

IMG_3475

Method

Put the wine in a pan with the sugar and heat until dissolved.

Peel the pears and take a slice from the bottom so that they will stand up.  Add to the pan, the wine should cover the pears.

Cut the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape out the seeds. Add the seeds and the pod to the wine along with the cinnamon stick and the thyme.

Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until soft.  This should take between thirty and forty five minutes depending on the size of the pears and their firmness.

Remove from the wine.

Bring the wine to the boil and reduce by half so it becomes syrupy, remove from the heat cool and sieve.

The pears are good served at room temperature with the with the wine syrup poured over.

17 Responses to “Chianti Poached Pears”

1. Sue@GLAllotments December 9, 2013 @ 5:30 pm (#)

I bet that smells festive

2. home, garden, life December 10, 2013 @ 2:38 pm (#)

Beautiful styling. I don’t consume wine, yet ginger poached pears are wonderful too! Cheers!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — December 10th, 2013 @ 7:43 pm

Thank you. I did think about the wine thing and wonder if grape juice would work and yes ginger is wonderful with pears.

3. home, garden, life December 10, 2013 @ 2:38 pm (#)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — December 10th, 2013 @ 7:43 pm

4. Anna December 10, 2013 @ 3:50 pm (#)

Mmmmmm that sounds most delicious. That’s a variety of pear that I’ve not heard of before. Presumably with a name like that it must be French. I’m considering buying a pear for the allotment to add to the apple trees so keen to investigate as many varieties as possible before making a decision.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — December 10th, 2013 @ 7:41 pm

Thank you Anna. Many of the pear varieties have very glamourous French names. I can recommend Ken Muir for fruit trees.

5. Anna December 10, 2013 @ 3:50 pm (#)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — December 10th, 2013 @ 7:41 pm

6. gardeninacity December 10, 2013 @ 6:51 pm (#)

Wow, that looks good!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — December 10th, 2013 @ 7:36 pm

Thank you! Tastes really good also.

7. gardeninacity December 10, 2013 @ 6:51 pm (#)

Wow, that looks good!

8. gardeninacity December 10, 2013 @ 6:51 pm (#)

Wow, that looks good!

9. Southbourne Gardens December 9, 2013 @ 5:34 pm (#)

Yes, it was really good.

10. Southbourne Gardens December 10, 2013 @ 7:41 pm (#)

11. Southbourne Gardens December 10, 2013 @ 7:43 pm (#)