The Shed – A Short Story

This was going to be a ‘Wordless Wednesday’ but as ever with us there’s a story.  After we were handed the keys to Southbourne Gardens It wasn’t long before my thoughts turned to sheds, they may be considered a man thing but I’ve always had a yen for one, a romantic vision of life on the allotment where I’d potter around in with a mug of tea, pricking out seedlings, radio four playing in the background.

IMG_0350

Derek of course also wanted one but for the far more practical reasons of storage and shelter from the rain.  We met somewhere in the middle and found a small potting shed.  Somewhere to keep our tools to hand and also be able to grow things from seed.  The big issue was size, our plot regulations stipulate a maximum of six foot by four foot and the shed we liked was six inches over size.  We submitted a letter and plans to the Patrick the site secretary, as the lease requires.  He and Bob, our warden, promptly arrived tape measures and paperwork in hand.  After a lot of sizing up and deliberation we got a very firm no.  Thin end of the wedge etc. etc.  Was I disappointed?  Yes, but I could see their point and wanting to be a good tenants we agreed and bought a six by eight greenhouse instead.

IMG_0349

IMG_0347

IMG_0352

With the benefit of experience I think they did us a favour, the green house has given us far more space for propagation and we still have good storage for most things.  For Derek, however, the shed idea just didn’t go away and three years later he wore me down to a point where I agreed he could have one.  It arrived today.  Specially made to fit in the space behind the greenhouse because we didn’t want to give up any more growing space.  It’s already looking good and I’m assured that I will love it on completion.

23 Responses to “The Shed – A Short Story”

1. Jardin November 27, 2013 @ 5:24 pm (#)

Will look fine when it’s settled down …maybe a dab of Cuprinol … but happy days ahead – for you both!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — November 27th, 2013 @ 5:27 pm

Yes, I’m thinking that there’ll be far less on plot bickering from here on in.

2. Sue@GLAllotments November 27, 2013 @ 6:34 pm (#)

Crikey – your lot are strict aren’t they?

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — November 27th, 2013 @ 7:27 pm

They are Sue. It was incredibly frustrating at the time and of course we do get plot holders who completely disregard the rules but on the whole it works well.

• Sue@GLAllotments replied: — November 28th, 2013 @ 9:16 am

A few years ago I was the chair of our association and was repeatedly verbally abused and became a victim of a smear campaign just for trying to get people to lock or even just shut the gates. You only need one or two unpleasant people to make life difficult 0 I resigned and now no association. If we had created shed rules I think I would have been no more!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — November 28th, 2013 @ 10:47 am

How terrible for you. We’re a well behaved lot at our site on the whole, but also it’s a relatively small site which I think helps.

3. plotholder7a November 27, 2013 @ 8:17 pm (#)

Hi Victoria, I’ve just been pottering through your blog via Garden grab and I feel I have to share a link to some properly amazing sheds with you after reading your shed post – http://theinspiredroom.net/2012/05/13/pretty-and-practical-garden-sheds/ hope you like it.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — November 27th, 2013 @ 8:24 pm

Hello Claire, they are totally drool worthy. I shall look forward to reading in more detail.

4. lottielandgirl November 27, 2013 @ 9:27 pm (#)

How you discribed pottiering, drinking tea and seeing to the seedlings – listening to radio 4… That’s my dream! We can’t have anything like that on our site. It’s such a shame, I’m hoping to get a summer house for my garden so I’ve got a little retreat outside to plot and plan 🙂

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — November 28th, 2013 @ 10:51 am

I believe that was the case at our site once.

A summer house would be absolutely delightful. Did you look at the link that Clare posted in the comment above?

5. lottielandgirl November 28, 2013 @ 10:23 pm (#)

I had a look a the link 🙂 oh my lots of inspiration! Some of them look amazing!

6. lottielandgirl November 28, 2013 @ 10:23 pm (#)

I had a look a the link 🙂 oh my lots of inspiration! Some of them look amazing!

7. home, garden, life November 30, 2013 @ 1:15 pm (#)

Let us see photos of the assembled building! Congratulations!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — November 30th, 2013 @ 1:23 pm

Thank you Diane. Derek’s over at the plot doing the roof as we speak. Ashamed to say I’m on the sofa with the crossword. And yes will take some pictures.

8. home, garden, life November 30, 2013 @ 1:15 pm (#)

Let us see photos of the assembled building! Congratulations!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — November 30th, 2013 @ 1:23 pm

9. Southbourne Gardens November 30, 2013 @ 1:23 pm (#)

10. Teresa / TheGardenDiary.com November 30, 2013 @ 4:27 pm (#)

I wouldn’t take anything for my potting shed! Enjoy!!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — November 30th, 2013 @ 4:33 pm

Hello Teresa, thank you for taking the time to read. Having now seen your potting shed I’m not surprised, it’s beautiful.

11. Teresa / TheGardenDiary.com November 30, 2013 @ 4:27 pm (#)

I wouldn’t take anything for my potting shed! Enjoy!!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — November 30th, 2013 @ 4:33 pm

12. Teresa / TheGardenDiary.com November 30, 2013 @ 4:27 pm (#)

I wouldn’t take anything for my potting shed! Enjoy!!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — November 30th, 2013 @ 4:33 pm