Roasted Beetroot

Whilst pootling around on Google today I happened on an article that declared beetroot ‘a favourite in 1970’s salads, served cooked and pickled in vinegar’.  Well yes it’s true, if you’re my age you’ll remember it well, soaked in malt and served straight from fridge to plate it was absolutely frightful.  The naturally sweet and earthy flavours beaten roundly in submission.  Little wonder that a generation of us have been switched off from its charms.  But can we think again?  Beetroot is a great crop to grow on an allotment needing very little attention and having a long growing/harvest period.  Forget boiling and pickling.  Harvest them as you want to eat and roast.

IMG_2791

Top and tail the cleaned beets and place on a large sheet of foil.  Cover in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, some fresh oregano or thyme, a clove of garlic if you like it and some salt and black pepper.

Seal the foil in a parcel and bake in the oven at 160 degrees centigrade for an hour to an hour and a half, think jacket potato type timings, until soft.  Leave to cool to room temperature and peel, the skin pulls away easily.  You will end up with pink hands so wear rubber gloves it bothers you.

Slice and spoon over the cooking juices, discarding the herbs.  Season with salt and pepper and if you do want a bit of sharpness, a dash of cider vinegar.

11 Responses to “Roasted Beetroot”

1. Laila Noort (@sowandso) August 28, 2013 @ 8:47 am (#)

Wow that sounds really good. I am really not a big fan of beetroot but I might give this a try.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — August 28th, 2013 @ 8:09 pm

Thank you Laila. Let me know if you do.

2. Laila Noort (@sowandso) August 28, 2013 @ 8:47 am (#)

3. Brian August 29, 2013 @ 9:23 am (#)

Thanks Victoria, we will be using recipe probably tonight 🙂

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — August 30th, 2013 @ 5:07 am

Will look forward to hearing how you like it. I think Steve & Barbara had a chutney recipe if you’re still overrun. V.

4. Brian August 29, 2013 @ 9:23 am (#)

Thanks Victoria, we will be using recipe probably tonight 🙂

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — August 30th, 2013 @ 5:07 am

5. Mark Willis August 29, 2013 @ 12:31 pm (#)

Yes, that is a nice way to use them, but I still prefer them boiled and cooled – but not with the vinegar. I have also on occasion made a Beetroot & Bulghur salad with very finely chopped beetroot stirred into cooked Bulghur, with the addition of fresh herbs. Very yummy!

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — August 30th, 2013 @ 5:11 am

Sounds good Mark. Which herbs do you use?

6. Mark Willis August 29, 2013 @ 12:31 pm (#)