The Pursuit Of Spring

We’re a divided lot, those that are carrying on regardless, Claire over at Claireallotment’s Blog I’m looking at you, and those of us tucked up in doors with a copy of Grow Your Own magazine hoping for a warmer day before we start to sow.  On this the first day of Spring it remains resolutely icy.

IMG_2362

These pictures taken five weeks ago could just as easily have been shot today.

IMG_2310

I read this today in The Guardian and loved the final quote taken from The Pursuit of Spring by Edward Thomas.

‘It is not yet spring. Spring is being dreamed, and the dream is more wonderful and blessed than ever was spring.’

As Matthew Oates says in the article – perfect for for the first day of Spring 2013.

12 Responses to “The Pursuit Of Spring”

1. Laila Noort (@sowandso) March 20, 2013 @ 6:42 pm (#)

I have spend the first day of spring away from home where it snowed all day. I have spend the first day of spring in the Gardens of Versailles where nothing bloomed but one daffodil…

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 20th, 2013 @ 7:44 pm

Goodness, how lovely. We should meet up there when the weather improves. I long to go.

2. Becky March 21, 2013 @ 8:20 pm (#)

Oooh – I love that quote. Definitely dreaming of spring over here! It snowed today where I am.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 21st, 2013 @ 8:40 pm

The article is one of the best I’ve read in recent weeks. We have snow forecast here as well.

3. Becky March 21, 2013 @ 8:20 pm (#)

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — March 21st, 2013 @ 8:40 pm

4. Charlie@Seattle Trekker March 28, 2013 @ 3:03 am (#)

Spring is coming, a little more slowly than we like in some places, but it is coming. Spring is about hope and anticipation. So far I have not seen in deliver on that promise.

5. Paula April 2, 2013 @ 3:46 pm (#)

What a lovely quote! There are plenty of signs of spring here, but it’s been too cold to really enjoy them. I hope it warms up soon!

6. Paula April 2, 2013 @ 3:46 pm (#)

7. Arthur in the Garden! April 24, 2013 @ 7:11 pm (#)

Lovely!

8. Arthur in the Garden! April 24, 2013 @ 7:11 pm (#)

Lovely!