Another Soup

Yes another one.  This one by request.  Derek is flying back from Ireland late this evening and decided he would like some soup for his supper.  Or should that be soup for a ‘pea souper’ given the fog in London tonight?

Having been gently chastised for adding cream to my leek and potato soup by Jenn over at Gardenclickers I decided on something perhaps a little less rich but just as rib sticking and soothing, so yellow split pea it is.

It starts something like this.

IMG_2251

And an hour or so later finishes up like this.

IMG_2256

Ingredients

200 gm  Split Yellow Peas
500 ml  Vegetable Stock
1  Celery Stick – finely diced
1  Carrot – finely diced
1  White Onion – chopped
15 ml  Olive Oil

Method

Soak the peas overnight, rinse, replace water and simmer for about 30 minutes until soft. Drain, rinse and place in a clean pan with the stock.

Soften the carrot, celery and onion in the olive oil. Add to the peas and stock.

Simmer for 30 minutes then blend until smooth.

Check the seasoning.

I think this would be really good with some little bits of fried chorizo or bacon on top but since we haven’t got any I’m going to make some fresh chilli butter.

12 Responses to “Another Soup”

1. elaine December 12, 2012 @ 1:33 pm (#)

I have never tried soup with yellow split peas – it looks delicious – may well give it a go. Thanks for sharing.

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — December 12th, 2012 @ 1:52 pm

Thank you for taking the time to read Elaine. I really love pulses in soup.

2. elaine December 12, 2012 @ 1:33 pm (#)

3. elaine December 12, 2012 @ 1:33 pm (#)

4. crabtreegardens January 9, 2013 @ 11:57 am (#)

Made yellow split pea soup a few weeks ago and loved it. Your photos are beautiful and made me hungry for it again, I’ll try your recipe! Sandi

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 11th, 2013 @ 2:58 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words. I love the simplicity of this recipe, just a handful of ingredients to make something properly delicious.

5. crabtreegardens January 9, 2013 @ 11:57 am (#)

6. crabtreegardens January 9, 2013 @ 11:57 am (#)

7. Jenn January 15, 2013 @ 1:07 pm (#)

This looks gorgeous! I won’t tell you how many times I have bought a bag of split peas with the good intentions of making such a delicious looking soup…lets say, er, a couple of times more than twice, only for them to moulder away in the back of the cupboard. However, you have inspired me…will definitely give this a go. I am soooo sorry if I chastised you V, but cream in leek & pot soup is a particular phobia of mine:-) I am sure yours was as delicious as this one looks. I

• Southbourne Gardens replied: — January 20th, 2013 @ 4:27 pm

Hello Jenn and thank you for your kind comments. I hope all is well with you and that you had a good Christmas/New Year. I’m looking forward to spending some time on Gardenclickers this week catching up with everyone.

8. Jenn January 15, 2013 @ 1:07 pm (#)

9. Jenn January 15, 2013 @ 1:07 pm (#)